10G Pygmy octopus build

So I've recently become fascinated by pygmy octos so I was wondering if you guys thought I could keep one in a 10 gal or not. I have an established tank without anything in it besides a polyp of mushroom coral, and I'm yearning to put something unique into it. I look forward to your replies, -Tyler

An octopus has way much more needs in filtration than any fish on the same size. Mainly for me it depend on your biological and chemical filtration as also the ability to be able to close the tank "smart" because of the fantastic escaping abilities of these great animals.

I also think that 10g might be too little, but i guess it depends on the species size you have decided to keep.

As far for biology, since an octopus is a really heavy eater, you will definitely need external biological filtration and a big pile of carbon is a necessity in case the animal feel scared and release its ink.

It's not a simple animal for aquarium, but hell is beautiful!!

An octopus has way much more needs in filtration than any fish on the same size. Mainly for me it depend on your biological and chemical filtration as also the ability to be able to close the tank "smart" because of the fantastic escaping abilities of these great animals.

I also think that 10g might be too little, but i guess it depends on the species size you have decided to keep.

As far for biology, since an octopus is a really heavy eater, you will definitely need external biological filtration and a big pile of carbon is a necessity in case the animal feel scared and release its ink.

It's not a simple animal for aquarium, but hell is beautiful!!

I was thinking about this one http://finaddictsaltwaterfish.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=120

The only species they sell of the three listed (which they say they have in stock "sometimes") that could make do in a 10g tank (and that'd REALLY be pushing it, big time) is O. mercatoris. The other two (O. briareus and O. vulgaris) have arm-spans of 24" or more.

If you're looking for a unique invert to put in a small tank, I might suggest one of the smaller species of mantis shrimp, like Neogonodactylus wennerae (or one of many other Neogonodactylus species) or Gonodactylus smithii.

They're hardy, perfectly capable of living happily in a small tank (if well kept), and have lots of personality.

I ordered one from that places years ago. Arrived dead. I went back and forth with the seller about shipping container and adequate packing materials. They voided their own policy by not shipping in or how they stated. The octo was in a Parmesan cheese container, which leaked everything out. They would not refund any money and the seller stated that I didn't know what I was doing and these shouldn't be pets anyways and I should have known not to ship them. I argued with PayPal about them not shipping how their policy states and I still lost because PayPal doesn't cover live animals.

Good luck...

A 10g is an extremely small volume of water, at least as saltwater aquariums go, and it's difficult to keep the parameters stable. A 20g, at least, is a better starting size.

Reef lobsters get quite large. Squat lobsters are tiny and much more suited for nano tanks, is that what you were thinking of?

The number one thing most people dont know about octopus of any size is they only live about 1 yr, so if it looks like its full grown it may not live much longer. We had an o.mercatoris in our shop. Critter cage inside of a larger tank was how we had to keep him because we didnt really plan on getting it. A customer had asked about one.

They prefer live crabs for food, fish or silversides is not a recommended diet. They are very cool creatures, but they prefer low lighting and hide quite a bit.

They can escape through any hole that is wider than the space between there eyes, if they get scared and ink it can be toxic to them so thats why they say it should be 30g+ and run carbon.

you need to search some threads on here about what a pigmy octopus really is. i.e. there really isn't such a thing. that octopus you're wanting from finaddict place will get big. There are multiple threads on here about people buying them from that particular place and then them growing to 8-12" in diameter. most octopus will live around a year and that's why many people shy away from them. do some more research and find one that will live longer and find a tank for it to be happy. otherwise you are just wasting time and money.

you need to search some threads on here about what a pigmy octopus really is. i.e. there really isn't such a thing. that octopus you're wanting from finaddict place will get big. There are multiple threads on here about people buying them from that particular place and then them growing to 8-12" in diameter. most octopus will live around a year and that's why many people shy away from them. do some more research and find one that will live longer and find a tank for it to be happy. otherwise you are just wasting time and money.

Unless you find someone from the Pacific to ship you an Octopus wolfii or Octopus incella. They don't get very big at all. I've got 3 here. they easily fit in my palm and have laid eggs, so obviously adults.

Though I think they only live 18 months at most under optimum conditions.

Beware anything you order will probably arrive dead. They don't ship well. Best to ask your LFS to get one in for you. Don't buy anything online. Also, if it has blue rings, don't accept it.

10 gallon is not big enough unless you live near a water source and are willing to do 50% water changes 5x a week.

Keep in mind the live food source.

Back