90 gal pre-drilled - bulkhead sizes and questions!

bzbatl

In all my reef keeping in the past, I'd always had overflow boxes hanging on the back or created DIY systems. This is a new one to me, so please forgive my ignorance!

1. It looks like my 90gal is predrilled with a 1-3/4" drain and 1-1/2" return - is that typical? I can't seem to find any 1-3/4" bulkheads.

2. I'd like all the pipe black (unfortunately, it's drilled on the side that you'll see when you enter the room). I found some black PVC on Amazon that's Schedule 40, would that be OK? I assume Schedule 80 would be quieter...

1. It looks like my 90gal is predrilled with a 1-3/4" drain and 1-1/2" return - is that typical? I can't seem to find any 1-3/4" bulkheads.

Are those the actual dimensions of the holes in the tank? PVC sizes in the US are 1-1/2" then 2"
https://formufit.com/pages/pvc-pipe-size-dimensions-chart
A 1-1/2" bulkhead does NOT fit in a 1-1/2" diameter hole..

I
2. I'd like all the pipe black (unfortunately, it's drilled on the side that you'll see when you enter the room). I found some black PVC on Amazon that's Schedule 40, would that be OK? I assume Schedule 80 would be quieter...

There is absolutely no need for sch80.. Its thicker wall could quiet it down some (little if any) but sch80 is usually for higher pressures not noise suppression.. Sch40 black PVC is fine..
You can also just paint white PVC with any typical spray paint.. Just prep it properly and allow it to fully cure..

Are those the actual dimensions of the holes in the tank? PVC sizes in the US are 1-1/2" then 2"
https://formufit.com/pages/pvc-pipe-size-dimensions-chart
A 1-1/2" bulkhead does NOT fit in a 1-1/2" diameter hole..

There is absolutely no need for sch80.. Its thicker wall could quiet it down some (little if any) but sch80 is usually for higher pressures not noise suppression.. Sch40 black PVC is fine..
You can also just paint white PVC with any typical spray paint.. Just prep it properly and allow it to fully cure..

Yep, I'm stupid. Had to read a little more. It's a 1" and 3/4" bulkhead (diameters of the hole are described on Bulk Reef Supply site).

Appreciate the insight! Might have to do the spray paint job!

Back