Ammonium Chloride and oxidizer (KMnO4), to grow corals, less water changes, and very low organo-phosphates:

I would like to know how to make the potassium permanganate solution and how much to dose into my system.
Len answers how to make a stock solution of KMnO4 here: Ammonium Chloride and oxidizer (KMnO4), to grow corals, less water changes, and very low organo-phosphates

He clarifies further on down in that thread: 22 GRAMS per liter

Presumably, this could be used to make the stock solution: Amazon.de : Innovating Science Potassium Permanganate Powder, 500g - Reagent-Grade - The Curated Chemical Collection

Potassium permanganate has a solubility in water of 5.0 g/100 ml at 20C (68F). So, I'm not sure how well 22g/1L will fully dissolve. :unsure: He didn't mention needing to use a solvent to make the stock solution, but I'm sure that can be figured out easily enough (if needed).

For dosing the stock solution, he said this:

Yes, 1 drop per 10 gallons from a 22mg per liter solution: of course , the dosage can be increased with caution, a higher dosage will definitely work to let the protein skimmer remove much more oxidized organics and absolutely starve and stop the growth of cyanobacteria!

When I was at his store, the KMnO4 didn’t get dosed until ORP had dropped down to ~ 350, and the dosing stops once ~ 500 has been achieved. I believe 400 is considered optimal. So, this is something you would need to tinker with until you get the dosing dialed in for your system.

Albert Thiel used to sell a product called Redox +, It was potassium permanganate. You can tell by the name what it was used for, he sold it as a way to help with algae and alternative to a ozonizer.. I remember it had little purple crystals in it. Potassium permanganate is a oxidizer.

Last edited:
I am also interested in this as well. I've been dosing ammonium bicarbonate daily for some time now, and corals seem to be happy with it. I would like to know how to make the potassium permanganate solution and how much to dose into my system. I have read a few articles online, but I haven't been able to find a good dosing regimen for reef tanks or anything similar. I really like the KMno4 option because it seems to be effective against parasites and bad bacteria, which is a benefit to us reefers these days. Also, I read where peroxide is dosed after KMnO4 to neutralize it.

Most of what I have read is applied to KOI ponds, planted freshwater, and fish-only systems. I haven't come across many references to reef systems. According to what I've read, most benefit from dosing it, then dosing peroxide to neutralize it, and then performing a water change.

I wonder how useful ammonium bicarbonate would be for my macro algae tanks. I have to imagine it would very useful and never thought of it until this thread.
I have been adding nitrate till now.

How much do you mix up and dose?

Edit just found this by RHF as I researched more:

Last edited:
Len answers how to make a stock solution of KMnO4 here: Ammonium Chloride and oxidizer (KMnO4), to grow corals, less water changes, and very low organo-phosphates

He clarifies further on down in that thread: 22 GRAMS per liter

Presumably, this could be used to make the stock solution: Amazon.de : Innovating Science Potassium Permanganate Powder, 500g - Reagent-Grade - The Curated Chemical Collection

Potassium permanganate has a solubility in water of 5.0 g/100 ml at 20C (68F). So, I'm not sure how well 22g/1L will fully dissolve. :unsure: He didn't mention needing to use a solvent to make the stock solution, but I'm sure that can be figured out easily enough (if needed).

For dosing the stock solution, he said this:

When I was at his store, the KMnO4 didn’t get dosed until ORP had dropped down to ~ 350, and the dosing stops once ~ 500 has been achieved. I believe 400 is considered optimal. So, this is something you would need to tinker with until you get the dosing dialed in for your system.

Perfect. Thanks for the info Bobby!

I wonder how useful ammonium bicarbonate would be for my macro algae tanks. I have to imagine it would very useful and never thought of it until this thread.
I have been adding nitrate till now.

How much do you mix up and dose?

Edit just found this by RHF as I researched more:

I have a heavy export system and do not feed my fish that much. I have seen a noticeable amount of growth ever since dosing Ammonium Bicarbonate.

I make my solution based off Randys thread and currently dosing 100ml in the morning and 100ml at night for around 300 gallons.

Back