Any models to feed constantly?

Dr Ron - coment please?

Dr Ron - coment please?

Could you look at my post and comment on feasibility? Maybe make a recommendation? Thanks - Jeanne

Re: Dosing with particulate live food

Re: Dosing with particulate live food

Originally posted by revjlw

Hi,

Comments?

Well, it might work, pretty well, but you would have to pick and choose your foods carefully. I think you might, in the long run, want a couple of set ups, for example, I think that phytoplankton such as DT's would need to be fed at a greater rate than some of the animal products. Additionally, some products, such as Marine Snow, are, at best, doubtful as food for anything.

See here for some information on the nutritional quality of some foods.

:D

Each night I fill it with the same amount of tank water so that it rinses all the little buddies (bodies?) out.

hi revjlw,

Are you using auto top-off for evaporation with this feeding method? It seems like removing large volumes of saltwater from the main tank and allowing it to return slowly would play havoc with the freshwater auto top-off.

Thanks,
Darrell

Dr. Ron - thanks for your input. I wondered about MarineSnow.... The reason for add the DT or MarineSnow was to feed the baby Brine shrimp so that they don't croak while waiting to be released and hunted. I "dose" my tank with CoralHeaven for feeding the corals and wasn't really adding the DTs for that purpose.

darrellh - this is in the planning stage and not actually in use. But, no, I have no auto anything on my little 46 gal bowfront.

Everybody - I emailed Drs. Foster & Smith about the Pro Feeder described by SmartWrasse asking how it worked. Here's info from Greg:
"The Pro Feeder is designed to allow the hobbyist to provide a natural feeding pattern in the system. The feeder will use frozen foods to slowly dispense food over the coarse of several hours.
The unit requires only an air pump to do the job.
Simply place frozen food into the food basket, connect an air pump to the air inlet at the bottom of the unit. Close the needle valve, and then open it a little at a time until the water level is just under the food basket. The ideal setting will cause the water to just splash the food."

It can be seen at this link:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4436 I do hope that I am not breaking any rules by including the link here....
I thought it looked promising for the gradual feeding of frozen food.

Hi,

It might work just fine. It will be interesting to see.... :D

I may have to get one and see how it goes.

Thanks for the information. :D

I am experimenting with a Pro-Feeder. The thing seems difficult to adjust. You have to get the air pump to splash water onto frozen food (ie brine shrimp) that is dropped into a bulkhead strainer. It also seems that some of the food will be stuck and not get splashed out. I have now attached the air pump to a timer so when the air pump is turned off for a fewminutes the water level goes above the food. The pump turns on again and the food is then bubbled out. Seemed to work the first time. I also had to attach the air pump to the bottom of the unit by an airline union since mine appeared to be improperly made.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see if you can get it to function consistently. The problem with the "improper" construction is troubling. :(

:mixed:

Its been a long time since i've been to reef central so i figured it is time to bring up an old post....
Did you ever get the feeder to work correctly, and did it help?

-Scott

It has a bulkhead strainer inside that food is placed in and an airpump puts air inside the tube to keep the frozen food from being submerged. The air input splashes water up on the food.

Here is the way I use this little thing. I put some frozen brine in (one cube) before 8 am when I leave for work. Very little comes out until my timer turns the pump off for 1 min. at 9:30 am which is just after sunrise on my reef. A big bolus of brineshrimp is served when the airpump comes back on. The timer is triggered again at 10:30 and a much small bolus of food is delivered.

This is not continuous feeding, but it allows me to give the morning feeding at a more convenient time for my schedule.

Dr. Ron Or somebody I'm setting a 265gal to replace the one that sprang a leak Mike at INLand Aquatics said to put the live sand down frist and then the southdown on top the guy in the pet shop where I got the sand said to put the live sand down after the southdown. ???

Back