beginner advice?

djacob

Hello All,

i have been reading here in this forum for a bit and im jsut fascinated and overwhelmed with everything in here, can you guys recommend a book for me to start reading so i can work into getting setup to attempt this. its nutz , all i daydream about all day now is a tank full of babies :)

let me know what you all think

Thanks
Dave

Depends on what kind of babies you dream about in that tank ;)

I started this becuae my clownfish layed eggs, therefore, I bought Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfish. Great book, with several chapters dedicated to rearinf clown larvae. A lot of the same priciples apply to other species as well, so it wouldn't be a bad read either way. From what little i know about the subject, Clownfish or Bangaii Cardinals would probably be the easiest beginner fish, but neither is particularly easy.

If you've read through some of the threads here, then you probably already have some idea of what you are in for. Frank Hoff wrote a good book on raising fish also, but I can never recall the title.

Good luck!

Jason

actually thats what i was thinking about, either clowns or cardinals or shrimp, i see the pictures that people post on here and im just like "WOW" that is the best.

i have some stuff laying around here like:

1 45 gallon
1 25 gallon
3 10 gallons
10 gallon wet/dry
1 protien skimmer

some HOB filters and heaters and other misc stuff

this is all stuff that is just sitting empty in my basement

would like to design some type of setup and start building

how can you tell at the fish store if the cardinals are M or F? and if they will pair? is it hit or miss if they will pair or not?

this is just so cool

Thanks
Dave

this is just so cool

Yeah, about 1am every night, when I'm dead tired from feeding, cleaning, starting phyto cultures, cleaning the rotifer tank, mixing up new water, etc. I always sit back and say...this is sooo cool :D It is insanely cool, and a HUGE sense of accomplishment when you have successes. But be prepared for the myriad of failures before your success, and more work than you could imagine right now.

Clownfish are very interesting because you get to watch the eggs, and the fry change more from hatching to the juvenile stage. Bangaii's are really neat in the fact that they release half grown fry, which are probably much easier to deal with (haven't tried...yet). Getting either to spawn is a hit or miss game, and not a quick one either. My clowns were in the tank together for almost a year before they spawned. Inland Aquatics apparently has pairs for sale that are already mated up (and maybe have even spawned). If you want quick(er) spawns, this might be the way to go. I assume you don't have any pairs right now?

Keep Reading! And listen to the advice you get from this forum, it was invaluable for me, and my babies.

Jason

Jason,

thanks for the info. I have a single Clarki in my main 125G tank right now. along with a few other fish, low bio load. its mainly a FO with about 35 pound of live rock (at that point its just display)

i have alot of extra tanks. i am thinking of setting up my 25 gallon eclipse tank (got for free new) and just putting in 2 clowns in with a Anenome and some rock.

or maybe 2-3 cardinals

im not sure yet. im not the type to rush into anything so i highly doubt i would be ordering a mated pair, at least not at this time. i like to have things all thought out and setup before i go into something.

my first question to myself is whhat do i want to attempt? and when will i want to begin?

i think i need alot of setting up to do.

can you tell me about your complete setup and wht foods you use and where you get them?

Thanks
Dave

Conditioning, Spawning and Rearing of Fish With Emphasis on Marine Clownfish

Don't forget the guy who started it all:The Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder

Also get a bibble , you gonna need all the help you can get...

Ed

Back