Best shops of the Boston area - as voted by the Boston Reefers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Hiller

Okay, here's the results from the 2008 BRS survey for the best local area fish/reef shops.

Total responses to the survey that could be confirmed to be members of the BRS, and not working for, or owning a shop - 33. Not a great turn out for the survey this year. We had 88 the last time.

The survey consisted of a list of questions (see below) with the option to list any of 74 local shops that carry marine fish/invertebrates within a 2 hour driving distance of Boston as measured by Mapquest. No exceptions were allowed for shops alllllmost that close.

I want to thank everyone again who took the survey. I think the results are very interesting, and will go a long way to steer folks toward quality shops in the Boston area, depending upon what they are looking for, and what they consider valuable in a shop (customer service, selection, health of critters, etc.)

The qustions and responses are below. Remember that each 1st place ranking by a participant earned the shop 5 points, each 2nd place ranking earned 3 points, and each 3rd place ranking earned 1 point. The rank order for each question is listed, as is the total points received. Obviously, a shop earning a very high ranking compared to other shops should be considered truely outstanding for whatever category is being considered. The shops are listed in order 1-3 for each category, and the shop in 4th place gets H.M. (Honorable Mention).

For the listings by geographical location the following number of people listed themselves from each region:

WITHIN 10 MILES OF CENTER OF BOSTON - 1
NORTH OF BOSTON - 11
WEST OF BOSTON RESPONSES - 7
SOUTH OF BOSTON RESPONSES - 14

FIRST THE OVERALL DATA - FROM 33 RESPONDERS:

Which local area pet store/supplier has the HEALTHIEST FISH? Rank 1 = Best

1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 74
2. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 64
3. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 37
H.M. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester, MA - 32

Which local area pet store/supplier has the WIDEST VARIETY/BEST SELECTION OF FISH? Rank 1 = Best

1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 52
2. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 46
3. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester, MA - 37
H.M. Tropic Isle - Framingham, MA - 35

Which local area pet store/supplier has the HEALTHIEST CORALS AND INVERTEBRATES? Rank 1 = Best

Tie for first place on this one:

1. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 61
1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 61
2. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 41
3. Aquarium Gallary - Hudson, NH - 30

Which local area pet store/supplier has the BEST SELECTION OF SPS (small-polyped stony) CORALS? Rank 1 = Best

1. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 78
2. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 40
3. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 26
H.M. Aquarium Gallary - Hudson, NH - 24

Which local area pet store/supplier has the BEST SELECTION OF SOFT CORALS AND LPS (large-polyped stony) corals? Rank 1 = Best

Another tie for this category:

1. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 60
1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 60
2. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 40
3. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester, MA - 30

Which local area pet store/supplier has the BEST SELECTION OF TANK RAISED/AQUACULTURED CORALS? Rank 1 = Best

1. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 71
2. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 38
3. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 17
H.M. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester, MA - 15

Which local area pet store/supplier has the BEST PRICES ON DRY GOODS? Rank 1 = Best

1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 60
2. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 50
3. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 38
H.M. Sea Creature - North Providence, RI - 25

Which local area pet store/supplier has the BEST VALUE ON LIVESTOCK (considering both price AND health)? Rank 1 = Best

1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 69
2. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 53
3. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 29
H.M. Aquarium Gallary - Hudson, NH - 21

Which local area pet store/supplier has the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE? Rank 1 = Best

1. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH - 72
2. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 58
3. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 34
H.M. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester, MA - 24

Which local area pet store/supplier would you rank as the BEST OVERALL SHOP in the greater Boston area (within a two hour drive)? Rank 1 = Best

Remember, this question is asked independently of all previous questions and therefore does not rely upon the responses to the other questions.

Incredibly close for the top two shops!!!

1. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 67
2. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH -66
3. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester,MA - 32
H.M. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 31

Congrats to Coral Reef Aquarium....voted Best LFS of the Boston Area.

I will be visition the Boston area this July 4 weekend, would like to visit some shops around the area, can of you guys give me the addresses to these shops so I can use the GPS and check them out when im there? Another questions is it reasonable to visit them all by car in a 1 day or are they very far away from each other? First time going to Boston so forgive my stupid questions, thanks.

Are there any decent shops near Marblehead? I'm from out of town, visiting my sister. The shops in the list seem a little far from Marblehead. Any a little closer worth visiting?

I was in the area for a few days too . I saw no shops . I did enjoy the street entertainer gala ? in the commons area . I will back up there in a few weeks . Anything near the Beverly area ? It would seem these four shops would be nice to visit . I do not know the area and what's up those rounda bouts ?

1. Coral Reef Aquarium - Seekonk, MA - 67
2. Jay's Aquatics - Salem, NH -66
3. Skiptons Pet Shop - Dorchester,MA - 32
H.M. Aqua Addicts - Salem, NH - 31

TIA

Last edited:
I love Coral Reef Aquarium, I only have brackish tanks at the moment but plan on getting into full salt water as soon as I set up my 75 gallon in Spring. It's an awesome place to go to. I am going to have to check out the others on this list also.

hey if its Boston reef society, why are NH places mentioned, and yet other "members" are catching hell for mentioning things in CT which is a @#$@ lot closer than NYC and it's in the NE region.??? Just sayin,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back