Death of the Reefs

I am curious to know if this is just part of the cycle(not the fishing net damage). I am not a believer in global warming as a man made issue. I have watched many Nat Geo documentaries where they are pointing out where different levels of the ocean have been throughout history and where coral reefs used to be and now its tree covered terrain. I am far from an expert but I am of the opinion that our planet is ever changing. The fact that our technology allows us to monitor things with greater precision than say 100 years ago has made it easy to see these changes as they are happening. I am not sure we can stop it even if we tried. Damage from chemical run off and nets and of the tons of trash we put in the ocean, that we can change. But I dont think thats the only cause to everything bad that happens in the ocean. Lets just hope its a short lived issue and the reefs begin to heal.

I think "people" are smart enough, that there is a good chance any man-made issues can/will be resolved with time (acidification/global warming). It's the natural disasters that are really making it difficult on mother nature. I can't speak for Indo-Pacific areas, but the Caribbean seems to be getting it's butt kicked right now. Our trip to Cozumel was a huge disappointment. It's been several years since the last hurricane, and I saw 2 stony corals on our dives. 2! Then the keys were blasted with this winter's cold shock, killing thousands upon thousands of corals (as I've been told, anyway). Ken Nedimeyer had supposedly been doing an awesome job with his work with staghorn corals (raising over 4000 colonies), and I think it's mostly dead as well.

From what I gather (and that may not be much, somedays), at the Acropora convention last fall, there are lots of ideas pertaining to conservation/restoration efforts, but with everything, it is ruled by the almighty dollar. So until someone signs a big, fat check, or the government ponies up some grant monies, I'm not sure how much work can/will get done.:fun2:

On the bright side, everyone can educate others, and show the avenues where one can volunteer time and money. Even talking to non-fish nerds, you never know who has a rich relative that might be interested in dropping some coin for a good cause.

I agree with both of you. What irks me when reading/hearing responses to these types of articles is the people who take an extreme opinion on one side or the other ("plants are people too" vs. "I club seals in my hummer for fun"). I don't know if we will ever be able to pinpoint our influence (if there is one) on global climate over long periods of time but, like you said Jim, there are things that we can do now to improve our surroundings. My concern is when people confuse "human impact on climate change" with "human impact on the environment" and consider them one in the same. But I'm with you jd, optimistic that we will figure it out eventually and become a less filthy animal over time.

Our trip to Cozumel was a huge disappointment. It's been several years since the last hurricane, and I saw 2 stony corals on our dives. 2!

We were there a couple of years ago for a wedding. I didn't dive but went snorkeling a few places right of shore and I agree, was expecting to see a lot more. So I just gave up and went back to the bar. :beer:

Another article I remembering reading a few months ago: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100109002310.htm

Seems like a little too simplistic of an answer for such a complex problem. There has to be variables at play other than the level of protection in the areas they were comparing. Good to hear about the coral recovery though.

Last edited:
Good points. I agree that people could do better, but it sure seems like people throw around the "global warming" buzz words to just further their own political agenda. On top of that there seems to be evidence that people tried to hide data that didn't agree with their conclusions (the email case that was in the news). How are you suppose to believe someone when they only give you the facts that they want you to see..:rolleye1:

We were there a couple of years ago for a wedding. I didn't dive but went snorkeling a few places right of shore and I agree, was expecting to see a lot more. So I just gave up and went back to the bar. :beer:

Another article I remembering reading a few months ago: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100109002310.htm

Seems like a little too simplistic of an answer for such a complex problem. There has to be variables at play other than the level of protection in the areas they were comparing. Good to hear about the coral recovery though.

It's a great place to head to the bar, isn't it? We're going to Curacao in November, staying adjacent to the SECORE groups main dive site/facility, so I'm optimistic we'll see a little more on this trip. And since we have 8 days, I think we'll see how the night life is as well :dance:

Back