DSB vs. Chaetomorpha and LR

sinned-eel

I have a 72G Oceanic Bowfront that has been up for 10 months. The aquarium came with a wet-dry filtration system, bioballs, etc. It adds another 5 gallons. I removed the bioballs immediately and replaced it with a 6" DSB and 4 inches of water and chaetomorpha. This is in the 2nd chamber (1st-skimmer, 3rd-return pump), which is the largest chamber, but still is probably only 2-3 gallons max.

Questions:

Is the refugium functionally useless?

Is the 6" DSB functionally useless?

Should I get rid of the 6"DSB and fill up the 10" tall chamber with LR rumble and chaetomorpha?

I would like the refugium to function 1) as a nutrient exporter and 2) as a copepod breeder.

Thanks for any feedback.

IMO, a chamber in your wet/dry is too small (surface area wise) for a functional DSB. Put LR and chaeto in there. pods would live in multiply in chaeto. So, both nutrient export and pod's breeding could be acomplished.

Imo, 5 gallons is nowhere close to being big enough for a sump on a 72 gallon, muchless the fuge too. If that is all you can fit though i would take the sand out and go with rubble and chaeto. If you can fit more under the stand, go buy an aquarium as big as will fit in the stand and still have room to work in it. Get a few pieces of glass cut and silicone dividers in. I use a 30 gollon sump on a 30 gallon tank. I use LR to build walls to divide the sections. The LR works really good at taking out any micro bubbles.

I am also concerned about the 5 gal sump. Are you sure that it's only 5 gal? That seems awfully small. The problem I have with it, is what if you lose power? Will it overflow?

The total capacity of the sump is probably 15-20g, but the part of the sump (middle chamber) where the makeshift "refugium" is located, has about 5g or so of water capacity. I have attached a 6-7g garage can at the 2rd chamber (return pump) in the event of a power failure, so flooding is not a significant concern.

The middle chamber is about 10'x10"x10'. With the 6" DSB, I only have a 4'x10'x10" capacity for water, cheatomorpha and LR rumble. All of you who have responded have suggested that I get rid of the 6" DSB and fill the void left by the DSB departure with chaetomorpha and LR rumble for nutrient export and copepod breeding. I would agree with you all. Any dissenting views gladly appreciated.

Back