Epoch 60g Cube

Joe Lydon

Been gone for a bit, not sure how long it will take to put this thing together, but I've got some of the big items out of the way.

This is what I've got, so far. Purchased it used, from a local reefer.

60g Marineland Reef Ready Cube (24"x24"x24")
Marineland Monterrey Stand (Espresso color)
Custom Sump by Nano Sea Creations (20"x20"x16")
Marineland Utility return pump
ATI Powermodule with DIY LED mod (24" x 4 Bulb, 24 x 3W Cree LEDS)

The LED mod is a great addition! The rear 2 bulb T5 ballast shorted, smoked, and blew the circuit breaker, once I plugged it in. Opened it up, and found a rogue wire that arced on the side panel. Waiting on a new ballast this week. Other than that, the unit cleaned up really nice, and the acrylic splash shield looks great. All LEDs are in working order.

The tank, and sump were in pretty bad shape. Drained of water, and left to sit with sand, and garbage. The smell was awful. Could barely see through the glass. After circulating bleach water for 24hrs, followed by circulating vinegar, it's finally looking good.

Planning a Maxspect Gyre 130 if I find a deal, otherwise, a 230.

Still open to ideas for a skimmer. Likely an SCA, I ran one on my 40b in the past, and it worked pretty well. I'm not planning on much of a bioload. Unless someone else has an idea for an in sump skimmer, of similar cost?

The tank originally had a rim, but I removed it last night. Ended up putting a shallow chip along the rim, on the right side glass. After sanding all the edges out, I won't have to worry about any runs being created. Also eliminated the stock center overflow. Those things are horrible! After cutting it out, I found a graveyard of a neon dottyback (from the previous owner), and a dozen or more huge bristle worms, sitting in about 2" of packed sludge. I'll be plugging those holes, and installing an Eshopps Eclipse.

The Nano Sea Creations sump is fantastic! The front area is a large fuge, but I'm going to turn that into a frag grow out section for future trimmings from the DT.

Other than that, I'm only using tonga branch to scape. Going to keep it tight to the back wall, minimalist style, standing vertical, with a couple branches arching forward, in random directions, to mount SPS frags. Plan on going heavy with SPS, while utilizing a mostly bare bottom for acans, chalices, and other colorful things.

I'm doing something special, never done before, for the tank bottom. Stay tuned!

I will update, as it progresses. I expect to have it wet within a couple weeks.

I've been out of the game for a few years, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a quick shot after removing the rim, and center overflow. Just have to suck out the rest of the sand with the wet vac.

attachment.php

Here's a photo of the LED mod.
15697919_10158081055505096_3056172755733739882_n.jpg

And a previous photo of the tank, up and running, from the previous owner.
15697916_10158081061700096_7977677736930955_n.jpg

Back