High Calcium

jign4bass

I noticed a decline in some mushrooms in my tank and completed water tests. My results revealed:

PO4: 0
NO3: 2
SG: 1.021
ALK: 7.4 dkh
Cal: 570 ppm

I run a Reeftek calcium reactor and changed the media approximately two months ago. I did a 10% water change (20 gallons) to get the calcium down and take care of of the NO3. I also raised the drip rate of effluent from my calcium reactor to the sump to get the dkh up.

It has been three days since the above and the calcium has gone up to 585 ppm and the alkalinity up to 8 dkh. Does anyone know what the heck is going on? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rob:D

First, none of the chemical parameters the you show would cause an issue for mushrooms, although I would raise the salinity to natural ocean levels of sg = 1.026 to 1.027

That said, for calcium to decline, you need to add alkalinity over time,and not calcium. The reactor is adding both, so that is not the way to go.

Dosing baking soda to maintain alkalinity until the calcium declines will work, as long as you do not do water changes using a mix like Oceanic that has excessive calcium in it.

This article describes the process:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Thank you. I have shut the calc. reactor down and will watch the alkalinity and dose, if need so be. I understand the calcium will lower on its own. Any idea how long this will take? I know there are many variables to consider, but maybe an approximation??

Thanks,
Rob

Back