Hydroids?

duke1215

I have had these in my tank for years and never seen any negative side effects. Now they seem to be stinging corals to death. Is it a hydroid and does anything eat them? If now how do I get rid of them?

Attachments

• Hydroids.jpg
    Hydroids.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1
the tube on the side? Its most likely a vermetid snail. I just discovered these in my tank a few weeks ago. I first attributed my problems with these but am now second guessing the possible reasons why I am seeing a decline.

This thread touches on it a bit: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21930225#post21930225

This thread goes into further detail http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21927410#post21927410

this thread was my original identification: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21820312#post21820312

I have so many things that I could attribute this to:
4 keyhole limpets were in the display tank - never knew what they were or that they may eat Xooanlthlae
an Infestation of Vermetid Snails that I brought in in february. never knew what they were or that they can irritate SPS to death.
Brought in Aiptasia on my one piece of live rock - knew what they were and tried everything documented to eradicate them:Laser, Kalk Paste, Copperband, Peppermint Shrimp, Aiptasia-X and now on to Bergia. It's everywhere in the sump and the display.
Added a UV Sterilizer to the return plumbing (through a mag 18). That could have changed the parameters of algae growth in the display tank - cuasing the limpets or vermetid to start going after the acros.
Changed my LED light cycle from 13 hours to 9 hours.
Changed my LED light mix to drop warm and cool white to 15%
Swapped out my sump due to mechanical issues
switched salts (via water changes) so many times: From IORC to RSCP back to IORC to RS Normal to ESV B-ionic.
Using red slime remover for a severe outbreak of cyano
So many floods. two floods since july with one of them affecting the salinity in the tank.
Heck, it could even be the way I feed that's causing this. I turn off all the pumps and skimmers when I feed for five minutes.
Added a Blue Squamosa clam without quarantine
Added all SPS without quarantine

I don't know if they are snails or not. They have stung a war coral almost to death, a Xmas favia, and a few other corals. When I pick them off, they grow back. I have covered a colony that I have that is probaby 8"x12" with Kalk, no luck, came right back. Some have yellowish colored fan worm like feathers coming from them but I'm almost certain its not your common tube worm.

I don't know if they are snails or not. They have stung a war coral almost to death, a Xmas favia, and a few other corals. When I pick them off, they grow back. I have covered a colony that I have that is probaby 8"x12" with Kalk, no luck, came right back. Some have yellowish colored fan worm like feathers coming from them but I'm almost certain its not your common tube worm.

Sounds like colonial hydroids to me. While resembling a fan worm, the "fronds" of the crown are actually very potent stinging tentacles.

Yes, a vermatid can kill corals; however, they do so by spreading long feeding webs that irritate them. If you're seeing crowns and no webs, you've got hydroids. In either case though, sealing each tube with super glue gel usually does the trick.

yep - I'd agree with Mr. Bill. Sorry - Didn't realize the animal inside of that tube looked like you described.

OUCH!!

While I generally refrain from recommending a predator to eradicate a pest, with an infestation that large, it may be your only hope (outside of nuking all of your rocks). A nudibranch, Facelina bostoniensis, feeds primarily on colonial hydroids.

This thread was very timely as I am currently dealing with this type of hydroid. Is there any chance you know where these nudibranchs can be found?

Back