If you don't Quarantine Everything , your holding a time bomb :blown:

reefrubble

Premium Member
A little over a year ago I introduced (Acro. Eating Flat Worms ) into my system . I got some coral frags from a club sponsored frag sale , and I thought because I dipped everything I was safe . Big mistake ,because I didn't Quarantine any of the new frags . I had a large tank full of really big Acros. , and I hadn't added anything new for about a year . Well in about a week I noticed some of my corals were dieing from the bottom up . After close inspection I found AEFW eggs on the base of my now dieing corals . I had too many big corals , with too many eggs , and nothing big enough to treat and quarantine all that was infected . After my big loss , I swore I would never go through that again . I have been keeping marine fish since 1972 , and reef tanks since 2000 , and never had anything that devastating happen to me before . I had red bugs , but I did the interceptor treatment , and didn't lose anything . I also had Dinos , and although it was hard to get rid of , it wasn't as bad as AEFW .

Now big mess up number 2 Amyloodinium Ocellatum (marine velvet ) . Again this was my fault , because I added 2 new fish to my system , with out putting them in quarantine . They didn't look sick , and I was like so many other hobbyist , I was anxious to see them in my tank . Two days after I added the new fish I couldn't find my Starry Blenny . I knew he didn't jump ship , because I have screens on my tank . Then the next morning I found one of my other fish dead , and by mid after noon another fish dead . Both of them eat well the night before , and didn't look sick at all . The next morning I had another dead fish . Same thing eat good the day before , and didn't look sick . Now I'm going crazy trying to figure what is going on , because none of my fish look sick . I started calling everyone I could think of that may know what I was facing . After talking to everyone , and reading about fish diseases , I discovered I had marine velvet in my system . The only excepted treatment is copper , for approximately 3 to 4 weeks , and then 30 to 60 days in quarantine . It would have been easier to do the quarantine first , and I wouldn't have lost any of my other fish . Now to know 100% that I don't have anymore MV in my system , I have to do the copper treatment on the fish that are still alive , and quarantine them . Plus pull , dip , and quarantine my corals . After that I have drain , and sterilize my entire system ( Rocks , Sand , Tank , Sump , Skimmer , Pumps , Plumbing , everything , and start over . Now doesn't it make a lot of sense to QUARANTINE EVERYTHING THAT GOES INTO YOUR SYSTEM ? It is your responsibility to do this , no anyone Else's . The wholesaler can't , and your LFS owner can't do it , because they can't hold fish for 30 to 60 days , and stay in business . The only thing they can do is look the fish over , and make sure they don't look sick , and they are eating . IT IS YOUR JOB TO MAKE SURE THAT NOTHING BAD ENTERS YOUR SYSTEM , AND NO ONE ELSE'S .

Well said. There is the occasional hobbiest that would not agree, but I think avoiding quarantine is a ticking bomb. Thanks for your story; sorry that you've had this problem, but you might convince just one non-believer and save some livestock.

a very good reminder on the importance of QT. It is so tempting to think it won't happen to me but like you said a time bomb.

This whole thing makes me sick , and I know that there are a lot more time bombs out there . I hope someone will read this and they change the way they do things , and don't learn the hard way , like I did .

Back