Keeping cuttlefish in a 20g extra long?

StrikerKratos

I have two 4ft long, 9 inch deep, 10 inch tall aquariums (approx 20 gallons), one displayed above the other on a stand, both connected the same sump. One is a mixed reef tank, the other is a giant refugium. I will post pictures of the progress so far when I get home.

I am highly interested (and I have done my research) in keeping cuttlefish.
I would like to keep 1 or 2 flamboyant or dwarf cuttlefish (interested in captive bred eggs only) in the refugium. Leaning towards flamboyants due to size (and they are my favorite animal...).

My question is, is it feasible to keep them in this size aquarium? I have read they like taller aquariums, but I have also read these cuttlefish are native to shallow waters and I suspect they might like the length of this tank (again, it's 4ft long). If this tank is okay, can I keep two? I'm not sure how "solo" or "social" they are (I suspect social).

Can somebody who has experience with these cuttlefish give me their two cents? Thanks in advance.

Great taste, I plan on keeping these when I set up my next aggressive tank. Once cycled I'll keep a few of these for the remainder of their unfortunately short lives then stock the tank with all the usual fun triggers, puffers ect. For years I've been causally researching the captive husbandry and wild accounts of the more commonly kept Cephalopods but I've yet to come across any information suggesting they would flourish in an aquarium of that shape or volume. It also doesn't seem like you would be able to fully appreciate their capabilities or personalities in anything less than a 55 gal long. Another concern would be them surviving an ink in that volume of water but hopefully and actual keeper will be along shortly.
Best of luck and be sure to let us follow.

In all the videos of flamboyant cuttlefish I've seen, they are spending most of their time on the bottom "walking" around, making the height of the aquarium seem like more of a mute point compared to length or freedom to "walk". Just my observation and educated guess.

I also plan on upgrading my protein skimmer to something rated much higher than the system volume because they are so messy (and ink).

Here is the progress so far...
293b13d4732c6fa26940f61cf37a81c9.jpg

965ddf69a1b6b5ec48616a59435fda64.jpg

Sump will be connected Wednesday when the last of my parts come in.
Reef has a colony of green birdsnest along with misc zoas and a full frag rack.

Flamboyants are rarish, and go for a heavy price.

Just be cautious that Flamboyants are the blue ring octopus version of cuttlefish, very dangerous.

On the topic of if the system is suitable, I don't know. I'm leaning towards no since the system isn't that wide (depth) or high (these guys look small, but they are bulky). For a flamoyant it would be suitable I'm sure of that, dwarf idk somebody better experienced with them would have to chime in.

On the topic of if the system is suitable, I don't know. I'm leaning towards no since the system isn't that wide (depth) or high (these guys look small, but they are bulky). For a flamoyant it would be suitable I'm sure of that, dwarf idk somebody better experienced with them would have to chime in.

Thanks @Calappidae for the input, information on flamboyants seems to be just as elusive as they are. I have sourced flamboyant cuttlefish eggs from a breeder (I at the moment cannot disclose who from out of respect unless they say otherwise.)

Do you have experience with flamboyants?
Are you saying the size would be okay for them and if so, how many? I have no experience with them directly but I've watched just about all the videos on them on YouTube and they seem social, chill, and just fine hanging out next to other flamboyants, again, just my observation. Keep in mind several people have successfully kept dwarf octopus in 10 gallons, I know they're different but still...

I can worst case scenario, but really not looking forward to spending the money or disassembling my setup, upgrade the top aquarium (refugium for cuttles) to a 48"x12" (vs 48"x9) either 33gal or 45gal depending on height (12" and 16" respectively)

Back