New Camera (Canon 6D)

Great shots! I am going to need to stop by and checkout the tanks/your gear at some point. The MPE shots are at 1x-2x I am assuming. Edit: Scratch that, just remembered you are on full frame and I am shooting M4/3, very hard to tell. Its really hard to learn to use that lens, especially if you are trying to do a 5x or further with good depth of field.

I have found a few things that really help. The basic rules for aquarium macro are of utmost importance, like turning off absolutely all flow and ensuring there is no reflection. Specific to this lens, for maximum stability you want a heavy studio tripod with a geared head and a focus rail. Anything causing floor vibrations should be shut off (air conditioner, fans ect), as the shutter speed can be very long. I also use an 100 lumen Actinic flashlight to illuminate my subject and shorten the shutter speed.

Good tips I set my ISO to 100 with long exposure when possible.

Not really "photography" but kinda cool. My peppermint shrimp eggs hatched.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lOafLegPWHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u5R1wnBG7LI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Image stacking

Image stacking

Just doing some experimentation on Recty's technique of using image stacking to reduce noise. I read up on it a bit and thought i try it out.

This is a shot using my 180mm macro shot at F32 to get maximum depth of field. The speed was 1/5 and the ISO was 12800 - pushing the upper limit of the 6D. As you can see - good depth of field but because you are pushing the ISO - its grainy and you can see noise artifacts especially at the front - the little white specs.

IMG_2663

I took 6 shots - tried to keep everything identical.
I then aligned them (as if I was doing a focus stack) - I then converted them into smartobjects and then applied a median stack. Here is the result

imgst1

The distortion is definitely reduced. Most dramatic is that on the top shot you can see on the left my tang's tail. Completely disappeared with the median stacking. No photoshop touch up's - just a bit of white balancing on both shots.

I'm going to keep working on this - its a nice trick in the bag if you ever have to push ISO in a light limited shot. The 6D can handle itself on high ISO but I think with a less sophisticated camera the effect could be quite dramatic. Going to try this with my old T1i on the weekend.

Last edited:
Very nice. I have never actually shot at f/32 for fear of distortion but you did well here. Question though, why did you not go to a slower shutters speed than the 1/5? I imagine you were on a tripod? This would have allowed you to reduce the ISO

Very nice. I have never actually shot at f/32 for fear of distortion but you did well here. Question though, why did you not go to a slower shutters speed than the 1/5? I imagine you were on a tripod? This would have allowed you to reduce the ISO

The high ISO was by design - just wanted to see the technique (image stacking with median stacking) in action. Wanted to get as much distortion as possible to see if the stacking will smooth it out (which it did quite nicely).

The high ISO was by design - just wanted to see the technique (image stacking with median stacking) in action. Wanted to get as much distortion as possible to see if the stacking will smooth it out (which it did quite nicely).

agreed. I have done this technique in astro-photography and works very well as well. However, lower shutter speeds are more difficult to pull off in astro-photography. Thanks for explaining.

Back