New Coral Propagation Build(Pic Heavy)

SCC315

In Memoriam
As long as i can remember Ive always been fascinated with coral propagation and being able to help out the Eco-system and coral reefs with aquaculture. I have read many books and articles regarding coral propagation especially from Anthony Calfo. He is my main influence for this reasoning. Id like to start by giving you all the basics of what will be going on.

I will be starting a new 2x4 coral setup found here (http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HydroTek-White-2'x4'-Xtray.asp) It will be hooked up to my existing 40B sump. I will be removing my 110 "tuff stuff" tub(i am going with a more shallow tank) and replacing it with this new build. Here a quick over view of my system and the specs:

-Tunze Master DOC 9410 Protein Skimmer.

-I will be drilling this tank from the bottom with either 1 or 2 1-2 inch pvc drains along with screw in bull heads. I am thinking of doing 2 return lines with loc-line to control flow direction.

-Return Pump 800gph Supreme Pump

-Lighting(Undecided either LED(AI, Radion DIY any input), T5 or T5 Led Hybrid)

-Either bare bottom or substrate that is very coarse(consisting of shells and bigger pieces for the bottom)

Now i will be mostly keeping zoas, chalices acans, smaller corals nothing to big and crazy.

I am hoping that anyone will chip in and give any advice possible to help me along in this build.

Excited to see this setup unfold.

When drilling make sure to clean up the holes and really tighten the bulkheads down. We had leaks on our first try.
Always recommend 2 overflows so if one gets clogged you have a backup. But in your setup, 1 should do the trick if your not worried about clogging. Any idea what style overflow?

Now let's see some pictures :)

Excited to see this setup unfold.

When drilling make sure to clean up the holes and really tighten the bulkheads down. We had leaks on our first try.
Always recommend 2 overflows so if one gets clogged you have a backup. But in your setup, 1 should do the trick if your not worried about clogging. Any idea what style overflow?

Now let's see some pictures :)

No idea for an overflow yet(what would you do? or did do?), was think of just using PVC drilled in the bottom and then running it to my sump...what would you recommend? Looking to go pick up the tank tomorrow and start drilling it before I start moving stuff over so its ready all at once! I'm going start posting pics of my old setup so we can all see the whole move over!

I just did a straight PVC pipe up but I warn you its kind of loud.

Also, how are you addressing phosphates? Plastics do leach but its manageable.

I just did a straight PVC pipe up but I warn you its kind of loud.

Also, how are you addressing phosphates? Plastics do leach but its manageable.

Yeah im fine with it being loud as it will be in our cellar...and to deal with phosphates, i will be using a phosban reactor to control it along with using cheato in the sump to out compete the bad alage in the tank and probally adding lots of snails lol.....i was thinking about using substrate on the bottom not to sure yet tho

Hey everyone im going to have to put this build off for now because im going away for college had a late return on a college that's 3 hours away from me so this build will be post poned

what? first no pics, says its pi heavy. Then with in two or three days the build was postponed. You sir fly by the seat of your pants dont you?

what? first no pics, says its pi heavy. Then with in two or three days the build was postponed. You sir fly by the seat of your pants dont you?

sorry i just received the letter that i was accepted? its gonna be postponed. thing in life like this do tend to pop up UN-expected.

Back