PBMAS presents Butch Ringelspaugh

kba981

PBMAS presents Butch Ringelspaugh

His info
My presentation topic will cover my research at the University of South Florida College of Marine Science, where I am working up a project to study the effects of ocean acidification on Acropora palmata, Acropora cervicornis, and Acropora prolifera, utilizing reef aquarium techniques, through a contract with The Pier Aquarium, NOAA NMFS and the United States Geological Survey. My goal is to compare the fitness between the 3 species as well as the known genotypes and clades of zooxanthellae that cooperatively contribute to their survival in order to find out if any of them can withstand projected future conditions in the ocean, with a particular interest on the potential evolutionary role of the hybrid. I will be utilizing specially designed research aquarium systems, complemented by cutting edge spectrophotometric monitoring equipment being developed by the USF Ocean Chemistry Lab in order to replicate projected climate change scenarios. Additionally, this project will assist in a species survival plan among public aquaria in order to back up the critically endangered wild population of coral.

Butch Ringelspaugh is the Curator of Exhibits
The Pier Aquarium
located at 800 Second Ave. NE, Suite 2001
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-3503

IDEAL & Dream School
400 Royal Commerce Road
Royal Palm Beach, FL 33411

when:
October 23rd.
Time 6:00 PM.

Cost:
paid members free all else 5.00 a person.

Please RSVP
here if your attending.

Hope you guys enjoy! He is a great person and gives a wonderful educated and entertaining presentation.

Back