Pod 24 Starting

smy168

Back to the habit
thanks to icenine2005, rjwilson37 and ncf3 for their input on their plans with the 24, I have mine finally running.

Pictures will follow in a few days but a quick description of what is going on and some opinions.

I am running the Fission which had mixed results on these forums, I just started running the skimmer last night so there are millions of tiny bubbles, hopefully this will end in a week or two. Aditional hardware so far are:

fission nano skimmer
hydor ekip 300
maxijet 600

I was planning on retro-lighting but I think I'll stick with the base 64Watts for now. i'll be emptying out the current bio filtration that came with the system (bio-balls, sponges etc etc) and replacing them with live rock and sand. I have about 40lbs of sand washed and ready to roll because I plan on doing a SB of 4 inches or more. I've ordered my LR from Prime Cured LRs, roughly 35lbs.

I'm not sure what type of system I plan on running yet but that will come to me soon enough.

Problems: heat heat heat, the fan currently on it absolutely doesn't do enough, I'm waiting on Icenine2005 to see what he uses to cool off the tank, i thought about a some of those mini chillers but not sure how to get it into the system( I'm not a DIY person).

If things go well by tonight, I'll be adding the sand. Pics to follow soon.

definitely running in the low 80s but I have 2 maxijets in the tank right now to really stir up the salt some more. I think once they come out I should be in a comfortable 78 to 80 temp shift range but I won't know till I do it.

The Hydor Epik 300 is a great add for those doing small tanks, it's in stealth mode (black plastic) so it's kinda hidden and it has a very flexible direction outlet for where you want to have your water movement directed. I am looking into other options on the return pump...need more power, possibly a maxi 1200?

I'd be happy with the low 80's. I'm going to have to ditch those stock pumps, they must be throwing off a ton of heat.

Back