Stonogobiops feeding behavior

Wow. Can't let this thread peter out... it's been a while, but I have some updates.

After introducing 4 yasha and 3 nematodes (xanth?) in various states of health the population has stabilized. The 75g now houses a happy pair of S. Nematodes and a happy pair of S. yasha. Each pair has a corresponding pair of A. randalli as well; the royal flush of pairings? *grin*

For whatever reason I can't find any recent pictures of the yasha pair (I'll rectify that tonight maybe), but I do have a recent pic of the pair that had me worried. The smaller, skinnier nematodes below was a full-fledged hermit for right at one month. I'd go a week without catching a glimpse , even at feedings. The past two weeks though she has started coming out with much more frequency and for every feeding. She's going to make it after all!

s_nema_pair.jpg

I have observed that the shrimp-pairings are, in both cases, headed by a larger extrovert with the smaller member of the pairs rarely venturing past the burrow opening; through choice or mandate I have no idea. ;)

OH! check this out...

I'm still in heavy-feeding mode because of the little nematodes so the tank looks "dirty" - but it was all worth it tonight

My gramps (85, cranky, forgetful, frail, but LOVES watching the tank when he comes over) is sitting there and asking questions... I'm answering and showing off round the second big syringe of food I notice - for the first time ever - what other people are always saying about the Stonogobiops species feeding their shrimps!!!

The smallest (and longest living in my tank) yasha got his fill of mysis and stuff and then started grabbing food for the shrimp. He'd grab a piece and then swimback to the burrow where the shrimp was waiting like a faithful dog. The yasha would then spit the food out to be nabbed by the A. randalli or more often he would just open wide and the shrimp would grab it from his open mouth.

It was pretty AMAZING (for me) to watch!

:D

Just wanted to share...

And today I found out a dirty little secret...

The little juvenile yasha is a Ho!

Found him in the nematodes' burrow when I turned on the lights.

He was hovering just outside and was like "Oh... Hi human... uh... this isn't what it looks like at all... honest" - All the while he was floating up to catch the cross-tank current back to his own burrow... he was about 6 inches away from his home when he turned and bolted into his own home with a shamed "Don't tell" expression.

:lol:

I love how this thread just refuses to die. Awesome pics Density Man.

How far apart are the burrows of your two pairs of Stonogobiops?

I am finaly ready to set up my tank. I have decided on a 130g, which means that I could actually have more than one pair of Stonogobiops in the tank.

Fred.

The two pair I keep have stationed themselves at opposite ends of a 4' 75gallon tank.

A 130 sounds wonderful at this point... the 75 feels small already... ;)

the 75 feels small already...

Hee Hee... That's why my 65 is still sitting in the livingroom empty. I just can't do what I want to with it.

Soon... (fade to evil laugh)...

Fred.

oh my! fantastic thread, pictures, and article!!! im joining the party a little bit late but i have a planned species specific nano in mind for these little guys. im waiting to finish construction of a mb7 setup with 5.5 fuge to house 2 yashas and 1 or 2 randalli's.

i have a question for you all. have any of you had any success in breeding the yasha's? also, has anyone had successful experiences in pairing randalli shrimps?

thanks and again, fantastic pics!

-steve

I haven't heard of any breeding success stories regarding any of the Stonogobiops sp personally, but each of my fish pairs is co-existing with their own pair of A. randalli also. :D

Very rarely will the second shrimp ever leave (or be allowed to leave) the burrow, IME, but they can often be seen just inside while the dominant shrimp explores/forages.

did you purchase the gobies and shrimp at the same time, already bonded? or did you introduce them to the tank and they hooked up on their own?

donnie

the fish I played gender roulette with and got lucky (presumably)... the shrimp I introduced one at a time (because it was actually harder to get them then the fish).

5 shrimp were introduced into the tank, but one was eaten by a S. dracula 'mimic' the later two add-ins each found one of the other shrimp and 'bonded' on their own.

I can't report to seeing them breed/release young though. They do have an interesting dominant/subordinate order they follow in the tank though...

kinda bringin the thread back from the dead here but i finally have a source from where to purchase some of these that ive already seen the specimens and put a down payment on them. i do have a question about them though.

am i correct to assume that we are going with the notion that if one of the fish has this black spot on the ventral fin it is a male and one without is a female??? if so this would explain the problem my source had when they housed what seemed to be two females and one ended up being beaten up by the other, unfortunately it did not survive :(

thanks for any response, steve

Looking into these guys, found this thread. I'm interested in a response to xien's question. And an update from Denistyman would be great too!

according to the only reference i know of regarding the morphology of this fish (see below) there is no known way to differentiate between sexes.

FWIW ventral fins are also called pelvic fins. i have seen nothing resembling black near the pelvic fins of S. yasha.

if somoene is aware of where it is written that males will have black on the pelvic fins, please forward me the link or reference.

HTH

Yoshino, T. and K. Shimada, 2001. Stonogobiops yasha, a new shrimp-associated goby from Japan.. Ichthyol. Res. 48(4):405-408.

Back