tips for snorkeling

Dark

How to don't have the ears hurt when diving?

When I go more than 20 feet deep, It's like my head will "implose".

Only practice, or maybe a tip... Like "push" air (with nose blocked with fingers) onto ear tube, you know, by inside the mouth... Really hard to explain, with my poor english... sorry

Dark

The problem you may be having is that your not equalizing soon enough. You must start to equalize as soon as your head goes under the surface. Equalize soon and often. If you do not do it soon enough the pressure will close off your eustation tubes and you wont be able to equalize. If this happens acsend a few feet and try to equalize again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6728124#post6728124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fppf
The problem you may be having is that your not equalizing soon enough. You must start to equalize as soon as your head goes under the surface. Equalize soon and often. If you do not do it soon enough the pressure will close off your eustation tubes and you wont be able to equalize. If this happens acsend a few feet and try to equalize again.
+1

Don't wait until you start to feel pressure on your sinus cavity. Hold your nose, and equalize slowly, applying more pressure until you feel/hear you equalize. Continue the steps as you decend.

When you have done it enough, you'll be able to equalize without holding your nose or applying pressure.

Doing it w/o your fingers on your nose, is a little like popping your ears on a plane w/ your jaw. Takes practice, but it can be done. For now, do as they said and start equalizing on the top BEFORE you even start to go down. Hold your nose all the way and blow out frequently.

When diving on Scuba, I pop mine before I even get in the water. I'm holding my nose all the way to the bottom, popping at the slightest pressure.

I agree w/ reelfreak.
I gently start flexing eardrums b4 I even touch the water.
I also make sure sinus are clear, blow nose, maybe rinse w/ water
I stay away from cigarette smoke or anything that might make me stuffy.
I also like to wear a hood to keep head warm.
Everyone has their own trick. One of my friends does summersalts
on the way down, another clicks his jaw.
Main thing, go slow, and at the first sign of pain or pressue, come back up a little

Along with other suggestions, especially starting near surface, turn your head so the most blocked ear is facing the surface. Also, never try to clear when there is pain. Come up 2 or 3 feet, the pressure will ease, then try to clear. Also, extend jaw, as if yawning.

Back