Too high dKH

Mattewell

Could someone explain the chemistry behind this. What happens with when dKH is too high? What are the possible repercussions to the growth of coral?

Hi Mike,

Reading Randy's article this is what I found. Alkalinity is a measure of how much (HCO3) bicarbonate is present in the water. Corals take up Calcium (Ca) and bicarbonate to build their skeletons which is made of Calcium Carbonate (CaCo3). So (HCO3) bicarbonate is converted into Carbonate (CO3) by the corals in this process. If you watch closely during this conversion process a H radical is released into the water. So that affects your pH too.
When you have high alkalinity you have adequate bicarbonate and when you have low alkalinity corals that need CaCo3 to build their skeletons will get stressed.
For High Alkalinity I would suggest you read this article and how to correct it. I think you will be in Zone 3. I couldnt help much unless you give me the exact values of your Alkalinity, Ca and pH along with the test kits you use.

Hope this helps.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Im just wondering if high alkalinity is really a problem. High alkalinity means that I have plenty of buffering capability and my corals have enough bicarbonates to use.... Whats the downside to that? My calcium runs at 450-480ppm and my PH is around 8.0 to 8.3. Ive been using Salifert test kits. When tested, my dKH is through the roof, in the 16 range. I have been reluctant to fix that problem because 1. I don't have an RO/DI system and 2. I don't see any negative effects on my corals. I have recently tried SPS and they are all growing... so that makes me happy and indicates to me that everything is ok...

I know I am kind of breaking the norm of using tap water for my tanks, but everything is growing and my SPS is coloring up. When I test the nitrates with my Salifert test kit, the nitrates are at absolute 0. The only downside of using tap water, for me, is the high dKH, and I don't even know if that is much of a problem....

The main reason why I would like to use RO/DI is to cut out heavy metals. I think I have been pretty lucky, but how long will my luck last?

You are going to have more of an issue with High Calcium and Low Alkalinity than you will with High alkalinity and good calc levels. The higher dkh just is going to hold true to the fact that your system can support a higher level of dissolved calcium, as well as acting as a PH buffer by removing the H- Ions from the system. If you were on the other side you would see a lot of precipitation of calcium from the water, as well as a higher ph fluctuation.

If everything is growing and looks good I really wouldnt stress out about it too much. If you do want to bring it down, you could always go to walmart or Dakota Water or someplace and buy some Ro/DI and just buff it yourself. Thats what I do and at Dakota its like thirty cents a gallon.

-Luke

I had an issue with good calcium and really high Alkalinity and it ended up turning my sand into clumps. I know this is an old thread, but wanted to throw it out.

Hmm interesting... What kind of sand did you use? What did the clumps look like? Did it form on the top of the sand or throughout the sand bed?

Back