What r u guys using for basement return pumps?

FishTruck

Premium Member
I have been a reeflo Marlin guy. I see that the Marlin is discontinued and I am looking for a replacement.

I have about 20 feet of head currently getting out about 1200 gph (I guess). I have two 1.5 inch overflow drains. I have two 3/4 inch return lines.

I see the reeflo pressure rated pumps are all 1.5 inch outlet - which would put out about 4200 gph (too much). I am contemplating just reducing the 1.5 inch to two .75 inch returns on a reeflo Manta Ray. This would cut the surface area of the return plumbing by rougly half. Would that be the equivalent of doubling the head pressure (40 feet)? If so, the return flow would be about 2400 gph - which would be doable.

I use a hammerhead, and have 1.5 inch run from basement, to the bottom of the stand, then split to 2 3/4 inch. I have approximately 15 foot of head pressure and have to turn the ball valve on the return line back about 30% as the drains cannot keep up.

I use a hammerhead, and have 1.5 inch run from basement, to the bottom of the stand, then split to 2 3/4 inch. I have approximately 15 foot of head pressure and have to turn the ball valve on the return line back about 30% as the drains cannot keep up.

Yep. That's the feedback I thought I might get. I'll be sure to include a control valve.

Maybe this would work
Much cheaper then abyzz

I have no first hand experience with this pump in high head application but I have read numerous posts in regards to this pump providing adequate, reliable flow for basement returns

Just read thread again and see you bought abyzz

Good on you

Very frustrating that reeflo always need seals replaced

Maybe this would work
Much cheaper then abyzz

I have no first hand experience with this pump in high head application but I have read numerous posts in regards to this pump providing adequate, reliable flow for basement returns

I have been running a DCT-15000 in my basement sump since I think 2016. I bought a spare thinking I would need it after a couple year.

But I don't think I'd run one of the newer DCP versions externally. I have a DCP 18000 for my skimmer running for about the same amount of time but I had to replace the front housing as it's just plastic tabs and that failed on mine. The DCT uses screws.

Just for the visual. I was cleaning out my fish room and just tossed it. The dcp 18000. This would have been a big mess if ran external. I noticed one day my skimmer just stopped working and water flowing around like crazy in the skimmer chamber.

4 tabs and top right one broken
IMG_20231005_210625332.jpg

What it's supposed to look like
IMG_20231005_210635515.jpg

And the tab broken off.
IMG_20231005_210638950.jpg

Just for the visual. I was cleaning out my fish room and just tossed it. The dcp 18000. This would have been a big mess if ran external. I noticed one day my skimmer just stopped working and water flowing around like crazy in the skimmer chamber.

4 tabs and top right one broken
View attachment 32391586

What it's supposed to look like
View attachment 32391587

And the tab broken off.
View attachment 32391588
Were you dripping kalk? Wondering if that’s CA buildup. Not that that would have anything to do with the tan breaking.

Were you dripping kalk? Wondering if that’s CA buildup. Not that that would have anything to do with the tan breaking.
Yes, but in the chamber after the skimmer so it would hit the return pump first, up to the tank, back down the overflow, and back into the basement skimmer section.

Back