a great start

Reef Central Online Community : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > Northeast Kentucky Reef Association

(Moderated by: Agu, beerguy, DgenR8, geo, griss, Markk96, mhurley, MrSandman, Nanook)
(Users Browsing this Forum: Altpers0na)

Definitely!

Definitely!

Every journey begins with the first step!

There has to be at least a few reefers around here. I'd certainly like to see us get enough interest to have an annual frag swap in the Ashland area.

I'll bet we could even get the green light to have a swap at the Fannin's Toyota dealership, since they are a "saltwater friendly" business.

very cool, people have been talking about doing this for a while, glad you finally stepped up and started it.

I am glad someone took the inniative to start a new club in the Eastern Ky area. I am sure it will be successful considering how far the Cora club is away and it is somewhat of a drive to the CVRC. I hope I can attend some of your meetings once the club is up and running. Are you guys going to have a formal membership or is it going to be open?

Formal?

Formal?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9509515#post9509515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phljess
I am glad someone took the inniative to start a new club in the Eastern Ky area. I am sure it will be successful considering how far the Cora club is away and it is somewhat of a drive to the CVRC.

I'm not sure exactly how many folks we have here locally, but there is no way to find out if you never do anything.

As no reef enthusiast group is located within a 50 mile radius of Ashland, maybe this board will at least be a spark to get something going. Perhaps there are also some folks in Huntington or Portsmouth area (or beyond) that might want to get involved.

I hope I can attend some of your meetings once the club is up and running.[/B]

Well, one is already in the early planning stages, hopefully for this summer. :)

Are you guys going to have a formal membership or is it going to be open? [/B]

At this juncture there is no membership or club per se, just an informal association. A place to chat and meet any interested reefkeepers. Hopefully over time it will grow into something very positive.

Perhaps eventually there will be enough people interested in establishing a formal club with bylaws, holding annual elections for officers, paying small annual dues, etc. As we are in a rural area, I'm personally doubtful the group would ever have enough active participants to justify being formal (at a minimum 15 or 20 people). But this is just my own opinion, and it is as good as anyone elses that is reading this.

Last edited:
Finally!!! This has been kicked around for at least a year that I know of.

Since this is an informal "association", do we come up with a name now, or do we have to be a club to have a name??

Hello everybody: Where is there any fish stores that sell corals...besides Lex and Knoxville. Anyone sell frags?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9510117#post9510117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lee_Bay
Finally!!! This has been kicked around for at least a year that I know of.

I've also heard rumblings from various folks.

Since this is an informal "association", do we come up with a name now, or do we have to be a club to have a name??

In my mind, we shouldn't call ourselves a "club" without annually elected officials. Perhaps one day we will get to that point, but that seems to be at least a few months off in the future.

If we grow to where we can get 15-20 people regularly chatting on the board, and willing to show up (for at least one annual) at a meeting and participate, I'd be first to say let's pass the hat and vote for a group of good leaders.

I couldn't possibly feel more strongly about this point. I personally don't want to be part of any club that is permanently controlled by one single individual (including myself), a local fish store, or a commercial entity.

My vote would be (at least for the time being) to build our name brand around the "Northeast KY Reef Association" - I personally think the NKRA sounds alright - but that's just me.

Besides, we can take any NRA promo mailings (which I seem to get pretty frequently) that most times have bumper stickers like "I'm the NRA". Just take a sharpie and add a "K" in there, and we have an official bumper sticker. hehehe

Hello Yada

Hello Yada

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9510801#post9510801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KYyada
Hello everybody: Where is there any fish stores that sell corals...besides Lex and Knoxville.

I'm working on a Kentucky store list that will be posted sometime soon.

Anyone sell frags?

Not yet - but we are talking about having a swap this summer.

Hopefully, this will become a group where TRADING is more encouraged.

Possible Club

Possible Club

Perhaps eventually there will be enough people interested in establishing a formal club with bylaws, holding annual elections for officers,

As opposed to annual elections, whoever had the idea to start it up could just make themself "President for Life" and then pick a few friends to call officers.

Takes the hassle out of worrying about opinions or input from others.

Besides, we can take any NRA promo mailings (which I seem to get pretty frequently) that most times have bumper stickers like "I'm the NRA". Just take a sharpie and add a "K" in there, and we have an official bumper sticker. hehehe
That would truly confirm we're just a bunch of redneck reefers. :lol:

I'm up to help any way I can. I have nil free time w/ the shop but let me know if you need anything.

Back