A new website for local captive-bred animals

"Umm fish?"

Premium Member
Over the last week or so, I've started a new website.

http://www.ummfish.com/classifieds/

My goals with this at the moment are pretty simple. I wanted to start a database where people can list local captive-bred livestock that'll group the information together so that local people can have a place to go to see what captive-bred animals are available for sale. This might also help local fish stores, as the owners I've talked to often say that they would buy and carry captive-bred animals if they could only find a source. Maybe it'll also help local hobbyists because I know that many members would buy more captive-bred animals if they could find them. And I hope it'll also help breeders of animals, since it gives them a place to advertise what they have available.

I also want to make the database to help organize local breeders who want to participate in an effort at distributed animal breeding, so we can each see what the others are doing, find a place to get local cultures and whatnot (shipping makes their price so exorbitant), and so that all breeders don't have to be experts in every single aspect of what you have to accomplish to get fish and/or invertebrates from egg to juvenile. A distributed-effort sort of model for captive animal breeding is kind of what I'm envisioning.

I'm betting that lots of people support the idea of moving the saltwater aquarium hobby toward utilizing more captive-bred animals. Further, I bet they wish they could do something to help, but many don't have the time or energy (or even the inclination) to learn all of the culture protocols. A lot of those people may have some spare tanks laying around and could certainly house and feed a few to many juvenile fish on their way to growing big enough to sell. These people can help the cause of increasing the percentage of captive-bred animals in the aquarium hobby, all while also spending some time with some cute fish youngsters (which I think will win more converts to captive breeding than any philosophical argument could).

So, please come check out the website. It's not a discussion board, but just a marketplace for captive-bred animals.

The front page had 562 views yesterday alone, which suggests to me that there might be a lot more people interested in finding captive-bred stock than even I thought. And that really cheers me up. :) Thanks!

Back