About crc main website

tfpets

I don't know what has happened to the main site. Something to do with the site losing connection with the database. I have researched and worked on it for several hours with no end in sight. It may become necessary to find/hire someone who knows how to diagnose and fix the problem. Building the site and installing the software did not give me the skills needed to diagnose a problem like this! Fortunately we have reef central to fall back on for now! If your not familiar with the rules of reef central, you may want to make yourself familiar. They are quite strict, and you could get suspended or banned really fast without even realizing you have done anything wrong!

Your a trooper Frankie!! I've noticed for the last week or so that something (or someone) has been messing with settings etc.... Hope this gets figured out soon, kinda bored without it!

The more people that have admin/moderator access the more likely there will be problems. Not saying this is what happened here but sometimes people try to help out and make things a lot worse.
Thanks for the effort F&T.

I was suspended and got a point against me at one time for inquiring about something for sale on the mars forum. Also got a nasty note from RC staff about posting our picnic meeting on the mars forum. I am a mars member but I guess cross posting club stuff is frowned upon.

So the discussion of what to do from here needs to begin I suppose. I kind of have an idea of what is wrong, but I dont know how to fix it. It seems that somehow the MySQL database was either corrupted or modified beyond working. I have made many attempts to fix it but it seems that I cant even access it. I have a backup of the site from september that should have everything we need to get it going again, but we may have lost all of the posts from that point forward. I thought I had made several backups since that time but I dont know where they are or if they were actually created. I think there may be limited space for the backups and the ones I had made after september were dumped due to lack of storage. I just dont know! I know we can add an extra charge to the hosting of the site if we want it backed up daily, that may be for the best once it is going again. Anyone know of someone that might be able to help, such as a full time web developer or something?

The night the site went down, I was making a post on the forum and it just suddenly started doing what its doing now. I dont know if it is even possible for this to happen (accidentally or maliciously) from the forum. It seems someone would have to have access to the control panel on the host (I am the only one with the passwords for that). Although I suppose some of the modifications for the smf forum or an upgrade that didnt take properly could have done it. Tina, AJ and I are the only ones with access to be able to do that. I certainly didnt do anything and Tina was making dinner in the kitchen when it happened! I cant vouch for AJ. That is why I back up the site before I mess with anything. Apparently it happens quite often, this is why its a good idea to have the daily backup service. I would really like to learn how to restore the forum from the backup if/when it happens again. I will mess with it some more and try to figure something out.

What about when the chat feature was installed? There wasn't a backup? Or was that in September? I've never actually used it so I don't really know when it was implemented

well, i am glad we are actually able to talk on a forum. THANK YOU REEF CENTRAL!!!! i guess we should be looking to use some of the clubs allocated funds to pay for a professional to fix our site and definitely pay extra for the daily backups. i think its funny that this happened just one day after frankie and i talked about the last sites problems. never seems to end. :headwalls:hahahaha! maybe we can start looking on line for a pro to come and save our site again. i believe the last time this happened we turned to frankie and tina and if they dont know how to fix it then we are going to have to pay someone. ill check back later, i might know a guy.

Good luck all. Yes websites without a webmaster are notorious and yes not a year has the reef club gone without some web snafus (is that the correct plural spelling?)

My familiy and I have now 100% relocated to SoCal. Wife is Sustainable Projects Manager for USC.

Amazingly different environment at a university with a football team - let alone a good one that you can watch on TV. We went to a USC basketball game the other day - yes they lost to UCLA, but the USC band and everything else made it really fun night out. Can't wait for next year.

My tank is off to someone elses care and once I get our house unpacked and establish a better income stream, I will be building a Sonex www.sonexaircraft.com to suplant my hobby needs. We live just north of Pasadena and east of JPL only two blocks from the San Gabriel Mountains to go hike and mountain bike. Very cool. And ironically the air quality is better most days than the great california valley now in winter at least.

Alas i started out on topic but since this may very well be my last post on RC... so be it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back