Algae Scrubber Basics

I had one when I started my tank 20 some years ago... It was the original dump tray designed by Dr. Walter Adey - The footprint kinda sucked, but the device did an amazing job at growing turf and the area under the tray was an amazing benthic zone. I had 2 of Floyd's units and they did a decent job as well, but the vertical design with hanging substrate was too much of a PITA for me to clean. That and I don't like to have to run carbon constantly to keep ATS (or fuge) from tinting the water. I don't know that I would run an ATS again. Time will tell I guess...
Hi Floyd! - Did not mean to give the impression that your scrubber was a PITA to clean - The point was that I am far too lazy to take the time to clean an algae screen ;)

BTW - the dump box was very easy to clean - but if it was not kept clean, it would stop dumping and just grow on one side...

Hi Floyd! - Did not mean to give the impression that your scrubber was a PITA to clean - The point was that I am far too lazy to take the time to clean an algae screen ;)

BTW - the dump box was very easy to clean - but if it was not kept clean, it would stop dumping and just grow on one side...
Isn't Floyd his competitor - Turbos Aquatics?

Oh yeah , I know this lol!! Thanks for clarifying, if I remember right you told me how you let it grow for like 5 or 6 weeks without touching it and oddly enough, it overflowed. I relay this story to others to assure them that my units are not actually "overflow proof" because you can achieve anything if you try

Back