Any reason I shouldn’t get a melanurus wrasse?

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
After many years I lost my small tail pencil wrasse and I’m considering replacement options, including a melanurus. Tank is 180g, 7 years established, SPS. Most other fish are tangs, angels, Anthias, Chromis, and some small (1”) gobies. I do also have a leopard wrasse, and considering a candy hogfish. Inverts are snails and hermits, pair of cleaner shrimp, pincushion urchin, 2 starfish, and a cucumber.

Any reason I shouldn’t consider the melanurus?

I’ve seen some melanurus exhibit some agression by chasing other wrasses, usually it is not to harmful, but it can be troubling. It is good that your leopard is already established and your DT is 180g, so it’ll probably be ok. Do you have future interest in any other wrasse? If yes, I’d consider adding the other wrasse before the melanurus (smaller the better). Just my experience.

I’ve seen some melanurus exhibit some agression by chasing other wrasses, usually it is not to harmful, but it can be troubling. It is good that your leopard is already established and your DT is 180g, so it’ll probably be ok. Do you have future interest in any other wrasse? If yes, I’d consider adding the other wrasse before the melanurus (smaller the better). Just my experience.
Agree with this advice. Another plus to the Melanurus is they are known to eat planaria (red flatworms).

Back