Anyone else need some Tigger Pods?

cainchristy

Hi guys. I was wanting to place an order to Reed Mariculture for some Tigger Pods, and thought some of you may need some too. If you do, let me know. I think it is 4 bottles for $60 plus shipping right now.

If you know of a local fish store that sells them, I would really appreciate it. I hate ordering these guys, and this time I plan on keeping cultures going so I'll have plenty for my mandarin, Kermit the Fish.:)

Thanks in advance, oh, and I'll gladly meet you guys in Scottsboro, Huntsville, or Fayettville for delivery, or you can swing by the house, and I might make us something to snack on! Let me know, okay?:p

John Newby (Coral Reef Aquatics) sells them now.

After talking with Randy Reed in Nashville Frag Swap, I regretted that I did not pick up Trigger pods and Phyto-Feast then. Subsequently I talked about Trigger pods on this forum and John told me that he would get them for us.

We are lucky to have a few LFS's that cater to our needs (or desires) here in North Alabama (regressing to the earlier conversation in another thread.) I usually ask our LFS's if they can get something for me before ordering from an online shop. In most cases, they will. Some of them hold livestock for you for a week or so. If the shop is a good one, it's like having an additional quarantine tank, hehe. If you don't like a shop's tank condition, you can ask them to keep the fish in the bag they come in, provided that you will pick it up shortly after the fish arrive at the store. It may be hard to believe, but a lot of salt water fish usually arrive in a decent condition to LFS's from their sources. I have bought a number of fish this way without any problem. It seems to me that they get sick when they are released to a tank in a nasty condition. YMMV, though.

Tomoko

John has several bottles. Probably about 30.. He got an order in late lastweek of all the different live stuff..

Thanks guys. How much is he asking on them, out of curiosity? If he's pretty reasonable, I would love to have 2 bottles, one to pour in the tank and one to try my hand at culturing them!

I hope he also has Phyto Feast, I would like to try that as well. I may go Saturday and check out his store and pick some stuff up.

Excuse my ignorance, but are Tigger Pods amphipods or copepods?

You guys are fortunate to have a LFS that will stock that cool live food stuff. DT's and that's about it locally. I'm planning to order some Oceanpods and decapsulated artemia eggs from seahorsesource.com.

They are Pooh-e-Pods and are found bouncing throughout the Hundred Acre tank. A guy named Christopher Robbin is the reefkeeper over there.

Couldn't resist,
David

Here's some info on Tigger pods:
http://www.reed-mariculture.com/zooplankton/copepod/

Phyto-feast is just like DT.

You need isocrysis (a part of phyto-feast) for culturing copepods. I culture green water (nanochloropsys) for my live rotifer culture. Nanochloropsys is good for rotifers but their hard cell walls make it tough to eat, and consequently copepods don't eat them. Isocrysis is a bit more sensitive and they tend to crash more easily than nanochloropsys. I am using Phyto-Feast for culturing Tigger pods.

Tomoko

That sounds great, guys. Tomoko, if I try to raise my own cultures, I may get some tips from you on the best way to do it. Sounds like you've got it down pat!

It's fun to culture your own live food. I have been culturing a variety of live food well over 5 years. I was also doing vermicomposting for my veggie garden and feeding redworms to my fresh water fish (and periodically supplying my hubby for baits) for many years before that. If you would like to try some rotifers and daphnia for your salt water tank, I can give you starter cultures.

Tomoko

Thanks, Tomoko. How nice of you to offer! Give me some time to look into what equipment I'll be needing, and I may just take you up on that.

If the roads aren't to bad today, me and hubby are going to run to John Newby's today. I am hoping to pick up some Tigger Pods and Phyto Feast:p

Hopefully I won't buy any kind of livestock......but you know how that goes:rollface:

If you intend to culture Tigger Pods, avoid using a container washed with soap/detergent or in a dishwasher. They seem to be very sensitive to soap/detergent residue like Triops (and some ultra sensitive babies like my boss's.)

When I did a water change and split the culture, those batches in quart jars (washed in the dishwasher) died whereas those in another container (unwashed) survived. Previously I killed off my son's prized possession of Triops (the fresh water horseshoe crab like critters) the same way :(

I usually clean my culture containers with boiling water or soak them in a bleach solution. This never caused any problem.

Tomoko

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6761061#post6761061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Westpat
They are Pooh-e-Pods and are found bouncing throughout the Hundred Acre tank. A guy named Christopher Robbin is the reefkeeper over there.

Couldn't resist,
David

Pooh-e-Pods - I LOVE IT! But what are we going to call the other products? Perhaps Phyto-Feast can be Piglet-Pheast? Macro-Feast can be Hephalump Munchies? I don't even know where to go with Woozles ...

Hey Randy, Impressed to see you are monitoring the threads associated with your products. I had used DT's for several years and had become less impressed with it over time mainly due to "freshness" issues. After talking with you at the frag swap in Nashville and getting some of your pods and Phytofeast I must say I am very impressed. The Phytofeast is much more concentrated than DT's ever thought about being. I have been using it in the new 300 gallon system and I must say the pod population has exploded.:D You have a great product that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a phyto type of product. Well that's my shameless plug for today.:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6835769#post6835769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wpecoul
So where did the post from the DT's maker go?

I was wondering the same thing. Do you think he had second thoughts about having posted it and asked the mods to delete it?

Back