anyone have koi pond in sfv /scv ?

bullitr

broke but happy
i am not as a big sps reef euthusiast as before after few major crashes my main tank is a shark/ stingray reef, its on cruise control , almost zero maintenance and i am loving it. but i spend a lot of time on admiring my simple 1500 gallon pond ( 18' long ) and want to know if anyone here have koi pond too. maybe we can trade some advice and maybe some koi.

randy ( cristygirl) still around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie (jamie1210) and I built one. We have a 4000 gallon with a few nice koi in it. We are not in your area though... We are in SGV.

How do you prevent racoons from catching fish? I want to start one but i also see armies of coons around

Lawrence,

I am still here!

My pond is around 3500 gallons...

Here I am building it....

picture.php

Here it was finished....

picture.php

It has now been in the ground for 10 years!

I am planning 2 major upgrades.

One will be this year right after new years. It will be the addition of a 6 to 8 foot high waterfall with 3 bowls in it for natural filtration...

One will happen next year when I expand the surface area of the pond... when I do that, a piece of glass will be placed into the side of the pond towards my Gazebo.... It will then have a 6 or 8 foot by 2 foot viewing window like an outside aquarium....

I have over 40 fish. half of them were born in the pond... 1 or 2 make it a year... most of the eggs get eaten and then the little ones you don't even see until they are about 2 inches and safe.... They spawn about twice a year every year.

the largest one is nearly 24 inches...

The number one thing I can say is add rocks and sand to the bottom of your pond... looks natural and is real good for filtration....

Add a waterfall for aeration.... also a great place to place plants... they grow fast and provide more filtration

make sure you surface skim....

Make sure you add an air pump with fine bubbles... I have an AT810... 810 Liters of air per hour 24 - 7.... I have 6 place valve body with 6 airstones around in the pond... the fish love to swim in it... it circulates the deep water (cooler) with the shallow water (warmer) and keeps the pond water moving... no stagnation = no mosquitos and no smell...

Other than that, I treat my fish like pets.. I handle them, touch them, and swim with them (the kids love that) our pond is about 4 feet deep in the deepest spots...

another piece of advice....

steep walls - keeps critters out....
Plants and trees and trellis's around the pond keeps predatory birds out....

Other than babies getting eaten that we never saw... I have only lost 5 fish in 10 years (knock on wood).... 3 died mysteriously.... found them floating (2 of them were original of the first 3 and were rather large so I have no idea how old they truly were)

The other 2 jumped out of the pond... Bummer.... they were 18 inches each and I found them a day later....

10 years.... One thing I can say is that my neighborhood and the people that come to see it like it... It truly is beautiful and very calming to listen too and watch!

785e4e90536bcfaa30ec49e7ae473c79.jpg
6154b3690cdfe9724f1d5d51daf4e7e9.jpg

mine is simple natural filtration
water is crystal clear located on my side yard
and can be viewed inside along with the 435 shark reef.

currently i have 50+ fish
plan to make it a concrete and trim my collection.

very nice!

i had a few painful jumpers too
15"hi itsuri ,16"doitsu showa and the 12" shusui that really sucks because i grew most of them from 3-5" but during the expansion they jump out of temp holding tanks.
db86ff211abf0baf2b5411fd3cd15568.jpg

anyway
unlike finicky reef, this fish are super hardy
i had one thats been out of water for a while, body is already dried and still made a full recovery.

Last edited:
yeah
i can but i think koi are meant to be seen topside down

Back