Anyone Know What Will Eat Mermaids Wineglass?

Thinning out quite a bit.

Attachments

• 364F4332-40D3-4D3D-A855-0CC96F2EC542.jpeg
    364F4332-40D3-4D3D-A855-0CC96F2EC542.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
So, I’m wondering if the reason people have trouble keeping this is because it likes low alkalinity?

So, during the heyday of this macro in my tank with an Alk of around 5.3 due to a bad batch of salt and lack of testing on my part, I’ve been slowly increasing the Alk. I’m now up between 7-10 dKH depending on when I test and the macro keeps dying off. Here’s the latest pic. Sorry @vlangel but it looks like I won’t have any to send you come spring😞

Attachments

• A35189E3-1BFB-44AF-A802-299075409B10.jpeg
    A35189E3-1BFB-44AF-A802-299075409B10.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
So, during the heyday of this macro in my tank with an Alk of around 5.3 due to a bad batch of salt and lack of testing on my part, I’ve been slowly increasing the Alk. I’m now up between 7-10 dKH depending on when I test and the macro keeps dying off. Here’s the latest pic. Sorry @vlangel but it looks like I won’t have any to send you come spring😞
That's ok griss. You did say if you still had it so I totally understand. My macros often flourish and then stop flourishing. And who knows, they may come back later?

It’s pretty much all but gone tonight. Since the increase in the Alk, the snails, hermits and urchins are going nuts for the stuff. My, “success” with this macro had to have something to do with the low Alk/high Ca.

It’s pretty much all but gone tonight. Since the increase in the Alk, the snails, hermits and urchins are going nuts for the stuff. My, “success” with this macro had to have something to do with the low Alk/high Ca.
I am surprised that Alk played a part in its thriving and then demise. I have never noticed any of my macro algaes reacting to Alk, ( although I can be oblivious to such things since I never test alkalinity, ha ha!).

So maybe it was the effect of the imbalance on the grazers?

Correlation and causation are hard to distinguish in this hobby. I'm sure many reef 'beliefs' are in error because we associate a recent change with an observed effect but the thing we changed was actually a month ago not yesterday.

Back