Anyone try collecting natural seawater?

trigger05

I've been reading about using natural seawater, and I decided that I want to use the natural seawater resource that is available off the california coast. I bought eight 5 gallon jugs to fill with seawater approximately 15 miles off the coast. I figured since I am able to go on offshore sportfishing boats, I can collect what I presume to be quality seawater from way offshore. I am starting a new reef aquarium and want to use predominantly nsw.

I used a small bucket to collect then fill the jugs, I need to find a better way. Usually the water is a deep blue offshore, but the wind has been blowing lately and it has a greenish tint. I collected anyways and took it home to test the parameters. They are as follows:

Salinity: 35 ppt
Calcium: 360 ppm
Alkalinity: 7.0 dkH
Magnesium: 1320 ppm
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0

It mostly looks good, except the calcium. Looks a little low for a reef aquarium. Alkalinity could be a touch higher too. Maybe I can add calcium supplements to adjust this.

Anyone ever try doing this? Does anyone have experience with the nsw from Scripps in San Diego? What are their parameters? I have heard that they filter their water. I have also read that it is perfectly safe to use it unfiltered, straight from the ocean to the tank.

Let's give this a go. I'm excited to try this, but a little nervous. I don't want to inadvertently introduce some kind of nasty that would harm my reef. I figure since I'm collecting way offshore in the California current, there is low probability of that.

I would refrain. You will be bringing in a lot of unknown microbes into your tank - protozoa, bacteria, free floating pests and possibly excess of nutrients (depending where u collect). I would think deeper would be less nutrient dense since higher up is what's kicked up. But what do I know?

I say if ur tank is doing well, dont do it! If u do, atleast sterilize it and filter it before use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would refrain. You will be bringing in a lot of unknown microbes into your tank - protozoa, bacteria, free floating pests and possibly excess of nutrients (depending where u collect). I would think deeper would be less nutrient dense since higher up is what's kicked up. But what do I know?

I say if ur tank is doing well, dont do it! If u do, atleast sterilize it and filter it before use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Totally agree and there may be pollutants (oils, detergents etc) from run off that test kits won't pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UCSB place still open? I know people go there to collect filter sea water before.

I really like the concept and idea but the reality is that it’s a bit of a risk.

It also seems like a lot of work to transport all that water after a long day of fishing. I know I just want a nap at that point LOL

NSW does have alk and ca levels significantly lower than common reeftank levels. Corals will thrive at NSW levels but for the accelerated growth and dazzling, elevated levels are often required.

Do you aerate the water? I would worry about bacterial and other "water-life" die-off and an ammonia spike if the water wasn't used quickly and/or aerated.

Kevin

I've read about people storing it for months with no issues. I found an interest forum from the UK where people use seawater they collect. All these people collect straight from shore, and they seem to have no issues with it, some claim their tanks do better with nsw. I just want to know if there's anyone who has tried it. Is there a post where this has already been discussed?

Find a store the is supplied NSW from a company called Catalina NSW. I believe that collect it from deep water and then put it through a sand and carbon filter. I know alot of the local wholesalers use them.

Way back in the day using NSW was common. We used to store it for a minimum of 6 weeks to eliminate pests. As stated above the calcium and alk levels may need to be adjusted to meet your needs. I really don't think its worth the effort, but it is a viable option.

Way back in the day using NSW was common. We used to store it for a minimum of 6 weeks to eliminate pests. As stated above the calcium and alk levels may need to be adjusted to meet your needs. I really don't think its worth the effort, but it is a viable option.

I think it's a viable option but I'd filter it with GFO, carbon, supplement etc. given what we know now. I'd collect it in the '70s and used it for years in a couple tanks which did exceedingly well. Actually some people would add a few drops of bleach to kill bacteria, lol. But back then we only had regular t 12 florescent lights, bleached coral, no LR and no coral to speak of.

If you store it unfiltered all the plankton will likely die and it will be a poisonous brew of rotting sea life. If it is in a sealed container you will then have a thriving community of anerobic bacteria emitting hydrogen sulfide and other noxious gases. Maybe good if trying to raise hydro thermal vent organisms but you would also need water to be at >4500PSI to really be successful.

I have a 1000 litre tank that gets filled with fresh sea water off the coast of Perth in Western Australia. This tank circulates with the main tank and serves as a 30% water change every 4-5 weeks. I have been doing this now for almost 18 months with no issues. After all this is where all the inhabitants of my tank come from, the ocean.

Is water filtered or just sucked straight into holding tank? Since it is circulating and not sealed in container it's not going to go stagnant and die off. You still run risk of introducing some unwanted guests.
I know of what I speak from working on an Oceanographic Research Ship for the past 25 years. The science lab is supplied with "uncontaminated seawater" via an intake at bow of the ship. If pump is shutoff and seawater is left in pipes it rots. When you start it back up after having it sit around it reeks of rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide).

Sounds logical but as I keep it running this hopefully won't happen as you say. I do run a UV steriliser in-line which is hopefully enough. I if had to start manufacturing my own seawater with RO etc I just don't think I could keep up the enthusiasm for the hobby.

Dealing with 1000 liter tank of sea water doesn't sound like a cake walk. I work at our port facility and there are several other businesses in the building that do aqua culture. They actually draw sea water straight out of LA Harbour and filter it through a 50 micron filter. They have issues when big cargo ships pull in as they stir up the bottom and clog the filters. They turn off the pump when they know ship is coming in. They seem to be going good with it but I don't bum any seawater off of them. My tank is only 60 gals though. Saying is that the solution to pollution is dilution and they claim the water is fine as we are near mouth of the channel.

Actually really straight forward. Once a month tank emptied by turning two valves and then filled from the street (pipe from my front to the back where the tanks are) pumped from a truck that gets water from an offshore pipe. Once filled Valve opened and fresh water then circulates back into the thank running through a 100 micron filter.

Back