BDuBs 200g Frag Tank

bwade209

Well, just figured I'd start a new thread for my frag tank build. It's going to be a slow build because I'm also painting and getting ready for our new baby boy but hopefully I'll have water in it soon because I'm fed up with all these frags and frag racks in my display tank.

Picked it up last Wednesday and did a water test today...no leaks :beer: After picking it up and looking at it for a few days, I'm kind of thinking of making it into a shallow "tidepool" type reef...I know, I know....we'll see...

Anyways, without further ado...

394432814.jpg

394432812.jpg

Custom Sump...this thing is sweet looking!

394487591.jpg

394487590.jpg

Water leak test

394487589.jpg

394487592.jpg

Dude can I learn to ride them quads???? :D

nice tank by the way hahahahahaha
Can't wait to see this build. Take your time and plan it out. It's gonna be a super sick setup. I can feel it!

I vote for shallow reef. That would look so sick! Just have like a section of the tank just for frags and the rest for the reef

So here's an idea I was throwing around...the front being a shallow reef and the back being racks, kind of out of sight.... Or even just the back corners.

394488358.jpg

I will have a couple of inches from the water level to the top of the tank so really thinking about having a Tunze wavebox (or 2). I love the way the softies move back and forth naturally with 'em. Would having a couple Vortechs on the back wall mess with the "wave" effect?

The only problem is with a tank this shallow, either I'd have sand blowing around or a detrius trap. I'll have to do some reading before making my final decision. But it does sound a lot better than a bare tank with frag racks...

Man slow down. At this rate your gonna have another tank Thats over 150g in 3 month. And go shallow reef. Can't wait for this thing to start going

Man slow down. At this rate your gonna have another tank Thats over 150g in 3 month. And go shallow reef. Can't wait for this thing to start going

Would that be bad? LOL I still have 2 rooms in the house with no tank :lol:

Looks like a cool setup in the making. Cool quads/atv looking things in the background as well.

Scott

I like your diagram.
Are you going to have a little bit of everything coral wise in this tank?
Have you decided on what kind of lighting? Would be sweet to see some LEDs on this tank.

I would vote no for sand in a shallow tank, especially if you're gonna have a lot of flow. If you want sand, get the crushed coral grade.

Can't wait to see this thing going!

So that is your frag tank looks legit thanks again on that skimmer just reciently got started on the scrapping on my 100gallon hope to have it water tested by tuesday thanks once again was just wondering of any word on that live rock?

You just HAD to bump this thread...:lol: Thanks for the compliment, I wish I had an update, but the tank is still just sitting in my room waiting to get set up. I decided weld up a metal frame, but with my main tank having a few problems, it's been put on hold till I can fix them.

You're going to have to start a build thread on that 100g. To tell you the truth, work has been so busy with Superbowl weekend, I forgot to call my buddy on that rock. I'll call him first thing tomorrow and let you know.

Well an update...my main tank is starting to show pretty bad stress marks from the foam breaking down and I threw together a stand out of 2X4's today and rattle canned it :lol: Not my best work by any means, but I left all the outsides flush so I could throw some skin on it at a later time...probably never but I like to tell myself that :D

I went 4' high on the stand so I can easily see "though" the tank without bending over too much yet can still see a "top-down" view.

395458795.jpg

395458804.jpg

Back