Bug

DSC_5419.jpg~original

DSC_5437.jpg~original

DSC_5470.jpg~original

Last edited:
For all of mine, no tripod really. On a normal shot, there's no time. A monopod may work sometimes, but I'm looking into one. Have been for a while. I do use a remote shutter release. I also have a minipod that I use for added support. The legs rest on the upper part of my chest. Right hand on the base of the pod. Top portion of the camera resting on my forehead. It helps, but you have to be careful with breathing.

I look like I've been assimilated!!!!

Been hearing these guys for a couple weeks. Saw the first one today!!!

DSC_5508.jpg~original

Last edited:
Cicada! I grew up on the east coast and I miss hearing those guys around this time.

I googled cicada to check my spelling, and it turns out there is a website for cicada nuts - cicadamania.com!

This person even got themselves a cicada tattoo:

3729938449_7427f26d14.jpg

Z.X, is that a hummingbird moth?

That's a neat catepillar you found there Jesse. Impress us with your knowledge and tell us what kind of butterfly / moth it will be when it undergoes metamorphysis and emerges from its chrysalis.

Here's my contribution. For the record, I don't consider spiders bugs because bugs are insects, phylum Arthropoda, class Insecta, whereas spiders, while still phylum Arthropoda, are class Arachnida.

Spider15s.jpg

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15725560#post15725560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Bass
That's a neat catepillar you found there Jesse.

Yea, um, It's a, I really don't know. I've been looking at some sites for it, but no luck yet. Nice spider too!!!

And I do think that's a hummingbird moth. I've never seen them in my area. We have the Clearwing moth around here though.

Thanks for your reply Jesse. I was just yanking your chain a bit about the caterpillar (sorry). I have no idea either. :)

I've only heard of and never seen a hummingbird moth in person. But if I were to label any moth as such, that seems like the one.

Clearwing moth? Interesting. I just went looking for a pic and they are neato! You have those near you? Cool...

Last edited:
Clearwings are in my area in early spring. Seems once the bees show, they leave.

I guess I'm really becomming a bug man. This was with my wife's P&S, and the light sucked, but I figured if I moved, it would leave.

DSCN9484.jpg~original

Last edited:
Wow, you don't have to go looking for subjects to shoot, they come to you!

Nice color contrast between your shirt and the dragonfly.

Not bad guys, hopefully here in a couple weeks I'll be able to start contributing to this thread. :D The bugs are just starting to wake up here and come next week B&H and Adorama will be robbing me when I order some additional gear :lol:.

Back