bulkhead width for a 20 L

wfrost

Im building a sump out of a 20L tank. How wide or long should glass panels be cut to use as bulkheads. The tank is 12 inches so 11 inches and some fraction Im assuming. Also any recommendations on how tall they should be using the over/ under/over. And will a Maxi jet 1200 work for the return on a 29 gal tank. Thanks for any reply's

haha most call them Baffles when talking about sumps.. lol I had to read that first line twice ..:idea: Your not into boats are you :)

Anyhow most of the time I cut my Baffles atleast 1/8 smaller then needed so if its 12" on the inside then you would want to cut them say 11 7/8 maybe just a hair smaller.

For over under over you would probably want two 11 7/8 X 8"baffles and one 11 7/8 x 9".. But the height kinda of depends on a few things.. One your skimmer. Also your Return pump.. And last how much water will drain into the sump when the power goes out.. But Most of the time 8" Baffles work great. Your water level will be about 8.5.

For a 29 gallon you would probably want something like a mag 5 or mag 7.. A maxi jet 12 would be very small by the time it pushes 4 feet of head its probably not even enough to keep the skimmer fed good. HTH

I used a Mag7 with a SCWD on my old 29Gal. it worked great. I had to add a maxiJet behind the rock but thats it.
I would make a 1" difference between the hieght of the baffles

Trust me on this...you don't want those baffles at 11 and 7/8" you want to just cut them right at or a smidge larger then 11 3/4" Our lab has aproximately 12 different 20 gallon long systems with 20 gallon long sumps and we ordered 4 baffles for each tank. The baffles were measure to 11 and 7/8 and they came back too long. We sent them back to go a hair smaller and they still were too long. Just got with 11 and 3/4.

I took my 20L to a glass shop and asked them to cut the baffle pieces to fit my tank (I specified the height of the baffle pieces.) The glass shop did a great job. The baffle pieces were cut snug to the tank so that they can stand on their own inside the tank. This made it very easy to work with when I siliconed the baffles in. They also took it upon themselves and rounded the edges of the glass so that I won't cut my fingers with them.

This way, if they goof, they will fix it without a charge.

Tomoko

I used K&M in Huntsville. I live in a subdivision at County Line Road and Browns Ferry Road intersection.

Tomoko

Back