Collection spots in FL?

SoloChromis

I'm planning a trip somewhere in the Florida Keys in the near future, and already have my Recreational Fishing License, and am fully aware of the regulations and catch limits. My only issue now, is finding a reef that is legal to collect from and was hoping some of you guys here on RC could help me out. If there's a particularly notable spot, I wouldn't be apposed to setting the whole trip nearby. My favorite group of coral are gorgonians, more specifically photosynthetic gorgonians, and would love to be able to harvest a few pieces for my tank (which is already pretty well stocked with them :lolspin:). Any known areas that are legal to collect from? Thanks guys :fish1:

Check out this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511350

There are a lot of good places for both snorkelers and divers. A lot of them are listed in the linked thread, some even have photos. For about 5 years we just snorkeled off the beach at several different locations. Now we use a 10' Zodiac and get to small islands just off shore. I snorkel the Keys 4 or 5 long weekends every year for the last dozen years or more. I have a 75g hexagon tank full of Gorgonians and they were all collected in the Keys. I'll be there in a couple of weeks. If you have questions, please ask them in the other thread and I'll do my best to help out.

Back