connecting par meter to multimeter , how to connect the wires?

CTaylor

Hi,
My (cheapo) multimeter has input for + , - , and ground. The ends of my multimeter are three wires (prob + , -, and ground as well). It looks like a 3 mm in put (mini stereo jack), but it's not. I included a pic to show what the plugs that go into the meter from the probes (that came with the meter -- to test voltage, etc) look like, as well as the ends of the par meter (wires).

What I was doing was just pushing the each wire into each hole/input with the end of each probe. But that is just super temporary, though I do get par reading from this. It may not be accurate (due to bad connection), etc. I'd much rather have a secure good connection, not just smash the wires in there :).

*So what connector do I need to put on the wires, and how to put this (these) connector on the wires (please no soldering :) ). AND do I use all three wires or just the +/- ?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Par_meter_1.jpg
    Par_meter_1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3
Do you have a diy Par meter? What sensor are you using? You have a data sheet on it to get the accurate readings and convert to par?

To connect Your wires to connectors to plug into your meter, just cut off the ends leaving about 6" of wire on the connector, twist them together (black with black and red with red) and secure it with electric tape.

Photosensors will have a range of very small voltages (mv) or resistance based on how much light the sensor is receiving. You would then use that data to convert to par. With that being said, you'll just use two wires from the sensor, black and red and then cap off the white. You'll connect the black to the Com port on the meter and red to the v ohm ma port on your meter then take your readings and convert to par.

Hi,
From what I understand you just multiply the Voltage reading by 5. It's an apogee sensor. I did what you said, and the readings are as expected :) . Now I have a better idea of if my corals are getting too much or not enough light.
thank you!

Back