Copperband Butterflies

benuk46

Would it be possible to house 2 in a 10ft, or is it just not worth the risk?
Thanks

Last edited:
A copperband in a 10 foot long tank? Is that your question? If so, what are the other dimension (height and depth) of the tank?

Ah, you were probably posting from your phone🤣. If you’re going to try, I would get similar sized fish and introduce them at the same time.

You will have to acclimate a male and female slowly, separate at first, then join them after some time. Good luck at finding two healthy CBB's. The female has a longer forward, there are quite a few post on the web with pictures.

The tank is certainly large enough but it's their personality that "may"be the problem. Somethies 2 get along like Siamese twins, and sometimes one will Bully the other until it can't eat and croaks.

You can definitely mix coppers most butterfly’s do good in pairs! Or large groups copper bands are more of a single or large group kind of butterfly! The best way to do most butterfly’s is to de worm them with powdered prazi or general cure soaked into the food. This usually helps a ton with the species the trick is the get them into the frozen first and then soak the food in the medication:)

Too add, I believe there was a study that found putting one in the tank and one in an acclimation box had a significantly higher success rate than just dropping two in a tank. That was also for male/female pairing.

10 foot is plenty of room for a pair. You need to have a pair before you can keep them together. If they don't pair, 10 foot tank is not big enough. My new pair is doing well for now in a 40 gal QT system. Once I condition them, they will go into my DT. CBB are dimorphic. If we can correctly sex the CBB, use acclimation box, a group of breeders showed that they can pair CBB 100% of the time (6 out of 6 pairs). IME, the tell tale sign is the slope of the fore head of the fish. Here are pictures of my two fish.
Female
CBB2021051502Female.jpg

Male
CBB2021051503Male.jpg

My newly formed pair. The Male is new and is still putting on weight.
this picture clearly show the profile different of the two sex. The other are just more pictures of the pair.
CBB2024041403PairRS.jpg
CBB2024041405PairRS.jpg
CBB2024041601PairRS.jpg

Back