Coral Collecting- Florida

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9287981#post9287981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illal
wheres a good place to go in ft laud???

There used to be a rocky ledge within swimming distance of shore off of 12th street. The problem is that I can't recall if it was 12th street in lauderdale or Pompano. Also, the shifting sands tend to cover and uncover it, so there is no telling what is there now. I recall swimming off the beach and looking down, and starting to see a few gorgonians, and then rocks and then coral on rocks as I went further out. There are lines of ledges, but the ones further out require boat access. Watch out for boat traffic - you should use a dive flag.

Jay Hemdal

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8854696#post8854696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vi3tKid420
dang u guys are lucky cali area dont have none =[

well...we can always go to Sta Monica beach and collect cigarette butts :smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9322195#post9322195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JHemdal
There used to be a rocky ledge within swimming distance of shore off of 12th street. The problem is that I can't recall if it was 12th street in lauderdale or Pompano.

Pompano I think. I've snorkeled ledges that fit that description while visiting friend that live there ;)

Current Regulations

Current Regulations

Please don’t flame me!

I've recently been reading up on Florida's rule and regulations concerning recreational harvesting of marine species. It seems that there are is a wide variety of species permitted by a simple fishing license. I am scuba certified and the idea of personally collecting specimens for my aquarium is very intriguing.

I know captive breed and propagated corals have many benefits over their wild counterparts but everything came from the wild at one point. I also understand, as much as I can, the consequences and responsibilities of removing living organisms from the ocean. So please if you don't have any constructive ideas- keep them to yourself.

The Question-
Does anyone have information on how I should begin this process- where is acceptable to collect, boat captains that are open to this, tips, tricks, experiences, books, links ect.

Thanks

Florida Law
http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm

Here is current regulations
http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

If you guys don't mind me asking, where in Florida can you go and look at tide pools or lagoons? I'm going down to Orlando and am interested in finding somewhere to go look at these guys in their natural habitat. I was also thinking of maybe bringing home a few snails or hermit crabs if possible.

Orlando is pretty much in the middle, a good hour or so drive to either the Gulf or Atlantic coasts. As for regulations, you'll need a non resident salt water fishing permit. Check out the link in the previous post to yours for the regulations.

Also note the astericks in the regulations. Several localities have restrictions above and beyond those spelled out.

For examply, I live in Lee County, Florida and there is no live shelling permited here. All other fish and inverts follow the rules linked above. If I wanted to collect snails or hermits, I would need to go to the next county.

Thank you for this thread. I have been wanting to read up on the legal limits. My family owns a condo up northern Ft. Lauderdale and I would love to take my kayak to the beach and do some collecting.

so I am finally making it back down to FL this summer as well. any good suggestions on stuff around panama city? i attempted a google search, but wasnt even really what exactly to search to begin with lol. i figure local knowledge will be best in this case. also, what kind of corals/inverts (if any) can i expect to see around there in shore/bay/foot accessible/whatever (not diving) waters?

Snails and hermits and a few other inverts are likely, same with macros. Corals, maybe some gorgonians if you go diving, but will definitely need to be diving on the Atlantic side where the Gulf Stream is ;)

Well I am not going to offer anything...however I just wanted to say I would be very intrigued also!! I would like to be in your shoes, or flippers LOL

bill, are any of the hermits teh reef safe dwarf ones like we normally purchase. i am seeing lots of references to the thin lines? the ones that get huge and eat fish/corals

At least in Miami I find plenty of Blue Legs right along the shoreline on North Biscayne Bay. Scarlets when diving the reef, but they are a little trickier to find. Naturally there are also the hermits that get huge and not reef safe.

hmmm, i will be up at panama city beach, any hope of finding anything cool and reef safe there? with shore access. i am not dive certified

Maybe. I haven't explored up that way, so don't really know what you'll find. Gulf Specimen Company is up that way, google them and take a look at their stock lists for some ideas of what you might find.

If you guys don't mind me asking, where in Florida can you go and look at tide pools or lagoons? I'm going down to Orlando and am interested in finding somewhere to go look at these guys in their natural habitat. I was also thinking of maybe bringing home a few snails or hermit crabs if possible.

Don't know if you've made it down yet, but a 40 minute drive due east gets you to Indian River Lagoon and Banana River. 10 minutes from there is Cape Canaveral and Coaco Beach. I collect from those ares frequently to restock my small inverts and algae. I don't recommend taking any small fish unless you have a large tank or like aggressive little fish.

Back