Coral killer in my tank

cheesner

First I lost a bubble coral (not sure it wasn't something else, because he was big and he died quick)

2 weeks ago it was a brain coral. First there was a postage stamp size wound. I moved him thinking he wanted more light. He was stripped clean in 2 days.

Then last week it was my candy cane. I started with 20 healthy heads. When I noticed something was amiss, there were 8 dead heads. The next day 2 more where dead. Then, every night, I would carefully search my tank looking for the culprit. The only critter I saw was my peppermint shrimp. And I caught him on the candy cane on 3 occasions. Also some margaritta snails, but I am sure they are innocent.

Also, I first noticed a crab living in my acropora. I am quite certain he is a coral crab. He is quite small, and I never have seen him outside the acro. Even checking him at night, he is crouched in their waving his claws around. I think he is innocent.

I believe the shrimp is to blame. Anyone else have a problem like this? He has been in the tank now for 4 months or so without any problem. The candy cane was my oldest coral, it started out with only 4 heads. I hate to evict the shrimp my 4 yo likes him, but will if I was sure he was the culprit. I won't add any corals until I solve the problem.

What would you do?

Last edited:
First off are you sure it is a true peppermint shrimp. Camel back shrimp look very similar to peps. IMO I have never know a true pep attack a healthy coral. The key word being healthy.
What are the water specs of your tank, and what ( if any ) fish do you have in it. I have a feeling there is another cause behind this

HTH

Need some more details on the tank and water parameters but something is telling me that it is *not* the shrimp. If it is a true peppermint shrimp I have never known them to attack corals...especially healthy ones. There must be something else in there that you haven't found or can't see yet.

I do not believe it is a water quality issue. I have a couple acroporas, a BTA, that are all doing very well. Furthermore, the candy cane was dying 1-2 heads per night. The rest looked fine and healthy, and the rest were stripped to the 'bone'. Seems to me this had to be a predator.

For fish I have a 6-line wrasse, a. ocellerus clown, yellow tang and a bicolor blenny.

My water parameters have been excellent.

I will check them again, just to have the latest. I will post again with the hour.

I am certain they are peppermints (I have two) The place I got them keeps both in tanks side by side.

The mystery deepens.

This morning the candy cane corpse was knocked off from where it normally sits. I have two large snails that could have done this, but they have not in the 5 months of that coral sitting there.

I am starting to think there is another predator in there that I have not seen. I suspect that it is a crab. He went back for another meal and climbing around on the candy cane, he knocked it off its ledge. I doubt the shrimp could do this.

I checked 3x last night and saw nothing. I will try the leaning glass trick tonight and see if I can catch something. What should I use for bait?

It might be some type of snail or slug attacking the coral. Like maybe some type of Nudi. I guess the only way to really tell is if you pull and all nighter, make sure you have plenty of flashlight batteries.:D

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Eunicid worms typically go after Softies rather than LPS? I thought I heard somewhere of that, but I do not recall as I have horrible memory.

Also, I am not too familiar with nudi's that go after LPS, but I know quite a few that go after SPS.

Is there a possiblity that your water quality can be too good, without the excess nutrients for LPS corals. I have a friend that has an AMAZING SPS tank, but every LPS he puts in dies off, because it does not have the nutrients that will harm the SPS.

This is my first post, so I hope it comes out.
Anyway, I had a problem with my peppermint
shrimp eating coral. Saw them go after my hammers
and frogspawn like a lawnmower to grass. Never
heard of such a thing before, but they did it in front
of my eyes. Just wanted to let you know not to rule
out those shrimp. Oh, and they were true peps.

MYDRAAL Welcome to reef central :)

I have witnessed peppermint shrimp picking on polyps, open brains, candy canes, large anemones, my seabae. This was in my tank I had ten of them in my 180 to control aptasias. If you watch them at night with a red flashlight you will see them doing this. They are not reef safe and I know about camel back shrimp I know the difference. This was not just a bad shrimp or two all of them were doing it. I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t think they will consume a coral in a couple of days, they will do damage but not that fast.

Back