coral of the week { stylophora pistillata }

shred5

Premium Member
week #6 coral of the week { stylophora pistillata } common name cats paw. This coral is pictured on page 18 of the book Corals a quick reference guide by Julian Sprung. The pink variety pink stylophora is the most commonly kept but can also be yellow, green, brown or red. This coral is probably one of the easiest sps to keep. The colonys are ussually tight and branching with the branches getting thicker at the ends.

Every week I will post a new coral and I want you to post everything you know about this particular coral. Everything from common names, how hardy they are, water temp, water flow, lighting, water parameters, fraging, spawning, related corals, scientific names, feeding, best ways to ship, etc. Post your pictures for identification. Please tell us about your system so others can duplicate your success. Also email me for request on which corals you would like to see in this section.

Dave

Rstylo4-27-00.JPG

frag from Dr Mac
i'm using 250 watt 6500k iwaki bulbs, mv balast.start this guy low in the tank and then gradually move up high, it is easily burned if placed to high at first, over all an easy coral to keep and it colors up nicly under intence lighting.

dr_mac1.jpg

Back