Dirt-simple chemistry MUST-knows for tank health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down and dirty phosphate:

Know that it can get into your rocks and take a year to fill up; at that point your problems start showing up. So, export way more phosphate than you think you need to from the start.

That clears up a lot about why my stonies would slow their growth when I run low on calcium. Thanks for the concise and informative article.

I have been in the hobby for almost 2 years now. After killing an sps frag a year ago, and then another 6 months ago, I had about decided to just stick with the softies. Reading sk8r's original post made it seem so simple that I think I may try again now. Thanks!

Thats a great writeup. Much appreciated. I am embarking on a 150 and it gives me a better insight.

Again, thanks a million!

Very nice writeup. I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and their recommendation (for LPS reef) are

Salinity: 33ppt
Ca: 440
Mg: 1310
Alk: 12.1

These are very much inline with your recipe posted here, except for Alk.

Questions

1] Is it better to target 8.3-9.3 Alk range, or follow the RedSea targets for Alk of 12.1?
2] This recipe seems to ignore salinity, but surely the concentration of salt mix also affects the target levels, so this recipe is based on what salinity? 1.0264 (35ppt) or other?

My 120g DT currently runs at a salinity of 1.025sg (33 PPT) and I had planned on adding a little salt to my ATO to reach 35ppt. Any view on which level of salinity would be better? I have a lightly stocked tank with LPS corals and fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back