DIY Algae Turf Scrubber

nice, Are you planning on weekly cleaning? I plan on trying something similar. I built the lights already just have to figure out the box, and design.

Have you discontinued using GFO yet and if so have you seen any increase in PO4? This is really interesting and I may want to try if I can make room for it in the cabinet.

I have not I will keep running GFO until the screen is completely covered in algae. Since the algae can remove phosphate faster than the GFO I decided to let it be for now. As far as phosphate I have not ever had a testable amount so I have not seen an increase or decrease.

Week 2 update.

Before clearing off new growth.
IMAG1572.jpg

After cleaning.
IMAG1575.jpg

That is a clean looking algae maker... Are you running a skimmer as well? I am very interested to hear how well this works for you because I have been considering building one for my tank. Tagging along.

I am running a skimmer yes once the ATS is fully online and growing at its max I plan on making some changes like removing GFO and my refugium.

I am running a skimmer yes once the ATS is fully online and growing at its max I plan on making some changes like removing GFO and my refugium.

Nice start! I like what you did with the plumbing! Of course if you plan to start removing other forms of filtration, you will need to make some additional adjustments. Mainly your screen will need more light and reflectors. Lighting would need better position, as well as have lights on both sides... etc, etc. An algae scrubber is all about balance, light with flow with nutrients. The level of filtration solely depends on how well you struck that balance.

Week 3.

Ok i found I had a flow issue so this weeks growth was not as impressive, however flow has now been fixed and measured.

IMAG1605.jpg

Nice start! I like what you did with the plumbing! Of course if you plan to start removing other forms of filtration, you will need to make some additional adjustments. Mainly your screen will need more light and reflectors. Lighting would need better position, as well as have lights on both sides... etc, etc. An algae scrubber is all about balance, light with flow with nutrients. The level of filtration solely depends on how well you struck that balance.

Yes the system will be balanced. I have plans for adding a LED fixture to give uniform light to the screen, however the amount of space in my stand is the limiting factor. Since overall appearance is important to me, I will be keeping my scrubber lit only on one side I have made up for this by doubling the surface area to 2 sq inches per gallon. (This falls under the acceptable guidlines for turf scrubbers). I am always open to change as I do not have an "absolute" end goal. So far I am very pleased with how the scrubber is progressing I am still in the beginning stages of algae growth, but I soon hope to have a nice green mat of GHA.:bounce3:

Currently but it will be coming off very soon now that i have algae growing. While I know if defeats the purpose of the ATS I was not willing to lose all my corals from a simple experiment.

Looking good. I just finished a similar box that is lit by 4 cfls. Does your flow across the screen seem even? I cut mine perfectly and still have some dry spots at 550 gph (measured)

Back