DIY Rocks for new aquascape

Yeah, if you’re confident about what went wrong with the first one, then I say go for round two. That’s what you wanted to begin with. You can always find another use for the Marco rock. You could try selling it on Craigslist or Facebook or whatever locally. It may just help pay for the current project

I'm all for spending your money.:D SO I vote do it.

Maybe some focus on the release aspect. One trick might be to spray your taped structure with wd40, then stick the plastic wrap to that - it will sorta vacuum seal on to it. Then carry on as usual, and when the time comes the plastic should come right off with the concrete. If your not keen with that idea, there are mold release agents that are food grade ( all mold makers use a release spray of some type), but in this scenario spray the release on top of the plastic before applying the concrete. No idea if either process won't be a pain. Maybe do a small scale test...

My wife said you're a bad influence and I cannot talk to you anymore! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I think the release is the key. What about PAM baking or cooking spray? I could spray the duct tape before applying the plastic?

Yeah, if you’re confident about what went wrong with the first one, then I say go for round two. That’s what you wanted to begin with. You can always find another use for the Marco rock. You could try selling it on Craigslist or Facebook or whatever locally. It may just help pay for the current project

I believe I am.

That is what I am thinking also. Need to think about it as it was a good couple of weeks gone down the drain. It is what I wanted though.

Cleaned up foundation and now the start of round two. Hopefully, I will try and get it done tonight.....maybe.

20240511_154934.jpg

I picked up two bags of sakretes white surface bonding cement. I was originally going to use this but decided on regular white portland cement. The bonding cement is essentially portland cement with added fiberglass strands to make it stronger and its made for thin applications. I also shouldn't need sand or gravel for the mix.

What do you think about this for the structure? I checked the SDS and I do not see where it is harmful to aquatic life, etc.

I am leaning to it being ok because it says it doesn't pose a risk to the environment but I am no expert in this.

Screenshot_20240511_175232_Samsung Notes.jpg

I'm all for spending your money.:D SO I vote do it.

Maybe some focus on the release aspect. One trick might be to spray your taped structure with wd40, then stick the plastic wrap to that - it will sorta vacuum seal on to it. Then carry on as usual, and when the time comes the plastic should come right off with the concrete. If your not keen with that idea, there are mold release agents that are food grade ( all mold makers use a release spray of some type), but in this scenario spray the release on top of the plastic before applying the concrete. No idea if either process won't be a pain. Maybe do a small scale test...
Agree.

Making progess. I only did two pieces just to make sure it would work. 48 hours later and they slid right off like butter. The PAM spray worked out great and now the backyard smells like cupcakes.

What do you all think? I think they would look better once corals, algae, etc start to cover them. My wife isn't a fan though. She says it's not natural looking. I made test pieces of the marco rock and spray foam. She came outside and said "wow, that's badass". So now I am thinking again! :ROFLMAO: I am definitely going to do a foam wall with marco rocks or make some diy shelf pieces for the foam wall. I just don't know if the wall and this structure would look good in the tank.

20240513_193002.jpg

Would a mix of that structure plus some Marco rubble help liven it up enough to where she likes it? Like epoxying small rubble on to it?

Would a mix of that structure plus some Marco rubble help liven it up enough to where she likes it? Like epoxying small rubble on to it?

Maybe. Too be honest, its what the corals want, not her. :) But she does have some good opinions. I do like the Marco(Texas Holey Rock) rock and have had that in my tanks over the last couple of years. I just feel that Acro's do not favor those rocks as much as others. This is anecdotal and just my opinion, but given the layout of the rocks, I feel it takes much longer for the corals to grab a decent base before growing. IME, corals with a good base grow much faster and have a good colony structure to them. With a flat structure like the one I am building, I hope it gives the corals a better opportunity to base out before growing. The tank is all about the corals and I know that after the first year, all of the rock is going to be covered to the point where it won't matter that much.

I was thinking of that, though. Make the foam wall with the Marco rock and if it looks a little out of place, then I could break up some Marco rock and add it to the structure I am making to kind of blend it in a little. Or, I could make my own shelf rock out of the same material and add that to the foam wall.

Another thing I was thinking about was that instead of foam, I could apply this bonding cement to the egg crate instead of foam. I just worry about the weight, as I imagine it would be pretty heavy. @T Diddy What do you think of that?

Last edited:
That would definitely be heavy…particularly on the scale of your particular project. I’d be inclined to stick with the foam and Marco rock. I suppose an alternative would be to use the foam on its own, but very sparingly. Then put a thick layer of the bonding cement on top, but I’d be worried about expansion of the foam should it ever take on water. The best bet is probably just foam with Marco rock for the most natural look. Just don’t forget to sprinkle in some rock rubble on top of the foam as you spray it

That would definitely be heavy…particularly on the scale of your particular project. I’d be inclined to stick with the foam and Marco rock. I suppose an alternative would be to use the foam on its own, but very sparingly. Then put a thick layer of the bonding cement on top, but I’d be worried about expansion of the foam should it ever take on water. The best bet is probably just foam with Marco rock for the most natural look. Just don’t forget to sprinkle in some rock rubble on top of the foam as you spray it

Sounds good. I will probably just stick with the foam and Marco Rock. I forgot to ask. Did you ever have to clean your wall? Just curious if it is a pain to keep clean or just let the CUC do their thing.

Back