DV Movie help

Atticus

Anyone know much about getting DV from a camcorder to my computer?

I have figured out I will need to add firewire connections to my PC and I will need to buy a firewire line for the camcorder.
Any advice on this?

What I am trying to do is edit my daughter's video and be ready to record speakers at our meeting and edit them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Travis

If you have XP it's really easy....just plug it in, turn on the camcorder, and XP will walk you through the rest. If you've pulled still images from a digital camera, it's the same process.

If it's DV it's not that different. My camcorder uses a "mini-DV" cassette. I plug the firewire cable into the camcorder and turn it to "Play" (as opposed to Record). Within a few seconds, XP recognizes it and opens a window asking me what I want to do. I select "Create a movie" or something like that and it opens Microsoft's video editing software that comes with XP.

AH I see. I don't have the fire wire connection in my computer yet. Good to know it will be easier than I thought. Thanks

You pretty much need the firewire connection to pull the video to your computer. At least that's the way every camera I've used works, with the software I have.

PM sent! :D

I might have an old firewire card laying around. They were expensive when I got it but now they're built into the motherboards. I think a FW card is pretty cheap now but if I have that old one laying about, no sense in you wasting money. I'll have a look for it tomorrow.

New ones are around $10 now. Got to love technology advances. I am actually really surprised my computer didn't come with one. I assumed it did... :p

Back