Gauging Interest.. Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer With New Spare Parts. Perfect Condition!

slief

RC Sponsor
Premium Member
I'm looking to sell my Alpha 300 skimmer. It's in perfect condition and currently running in my system. While I've never had a single solitary issue with the skimmer, I maintain spare parts on hand for emergencies as I do with all my other equipment. I will be including a brand new Askoll 1500 Motor Block which is about a $150 value. This is the same motor block that is on the Red Dragon pumps. I will also be including a brand new impeller which is about a $200 value. While you will likely never need the parts, it's always better to be prepared than to be ill prepared in this hobby.

As I said, this skimmer is in perfect condition, runs perfect and has been meticulously maintained. This is the Royal Exclusiv manufactured Alpha 300 skimmer which was made in Germany and if you are familiar with Bubble King, then you know the quality of this skimmer. It also includes both the fixed and the adjustable volutes.

As I said, if you know skimmers, you know this is the highest quality cone skimmer on the market and it uses the absolute best skimmer pumps made.

If you are interested, PM me. I will take $1100 which is a great price for this skimmer, especially when you factor in the included $350 worth of brand new spare parts.

The skimmer will be cleaned inside and out and the pumps will be disassembled and bathed in vinegar to insure they are 100% spotless. The skimmer can be available as early as next week. I am holding off putting it in the main for sale section as I would rather it go to a local buyer.

For size reference. Pictures I took when it was new before I put the skimmer into service.
Ratinskim.jpg

Boogratanddaskim.jpg

Specs:

Vertex Alpha 300 Cone Protein Skimmer.

PROTEIN SKIMMERS/INTERNAL

Unquestionably, there must be no concessions when it comes to engineering and producing the finest aquarium equipment. Only by these convictions can performance be pushed beyond expectations. Vertex Aquaristik™, brings to you the next stage of evolution in high-performance Saltwater management. Crediting to its ultramodern design and differentiating features, this top model clearly distinguishes from competition.

PEERLESS IN ITS CLASS

This is the Protein Skimmer you have been waiting for. The revolutionary conical body paired with the refinement of the Askoll pump creates a potent combination of exceptional waste extraction, whisper quiet operation and low-impact energy conservation. The precision construction from the highest quality materials coalesces together in a form that is both durable and being feature-rich. These meticulous attentions to design result in an execution that is conclusively untouchable.

THE SHAPE OF PERFORMANCE

Owing to its full-body conical reaction chamber, the Vertex™ Alpha Kone eclipses all the traditional conditions of conventional protein skimming. By allowing the foam mass to accumulate in a gently sloping transition zone, protein extraction is remarkably increased. An inside view of the conical reaction chamber showcases the oversized, turbulence reducing bubble plate and remarkably fastidious CNC millwork that goes into it. Here is the core from which the Vertex™ Alpha Kone derives so much of its matchless performance. Finally, the unit can be fully disassembled for routine and thorough maintenance. All the body components are fashioned from high grade cast acrylic or solid PVC. The fasteners are manufactured with highly corrosion resistant titanium. Absolutely zero medians have been taken in the composition of the Vertex™ Alpha Kone, and it shows.

EXCLUSIVE FEATURES

* Manufactured by Bubble King/Royal Exclusiv for Vertex Aquaristik™ from 100% cast acrylic and PVC
* Full body cone chamber markedly enables stable foam formation
* Askoll high-performance skimmer pump is completely silent
* Oversized, CNC-milled bubble plate eliminates turbulence
* Bayonet-style neck provides a secure, leak-free coupling between the cup and body
* Easily accessible Ozone port
* Built in skimmate drain
* All parts can be disassembled for ease of maintenance

Alpha 300 Specifications:

* Recommended Aquarium Size: 225 - 600 gal.
* Footprint: 18" x 24"
* Height: 27"
* Pump: Two Red Dragon RD1500
* Power Consumption 76 watts combined max
* Airflow / Waterflow: 3600LPH Air & 6000LPH Water

Last edited:
Alpha skimmer IMO are one of the best out there. They are very efficient and most importantly, very quiet. I owned one and I loved it! Just curious, why are you letting this great skimmer go? Going bigger?

Alpha skimmer IMO are one of the best out there. They are very efficient and most importantly, very quiet. I owned one and I loved it! Just curious, why are you letting this great skimmer go? Going bigger?

Going a bit bigger indeed. This has been the best skimmer I've ever owned but the next would should be even better.

What are you getting ?

Probably an SM250 with an RD3 Speedy pump.. I really like the control ability of the RD3 and a Supermarin has been at the top of my list for skimmers since I can remember. Was very torn on the ATB, especially since it is supported so close to me through Chad but it doesn't have the same level of control offered with the SM and the SM is arguably the best internal skimmer out there when paired with the RD3. Plus I have a computer related trade worked out for it which really makes it a painless option. I was originally thinking the SM300 but I'd rather have the skimmer working hard and consistent than have it be marginally over sized and get less consistency.

Last edited:
Gauging Interest.. Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer With New Spare Parts. Perfect Condi...

Gauging Interest.. Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer With New Spare Parts. Perfect Condi...

Probably an SM250..

We probably have same water volume about 700 gallons. I think 300 is better for you. It was looking at it too but it was sold out so I got Atb 12.5 instead . you can get 1860 if your water volume are larger.

Last edited:
We probably have same water volume are 700 gallons. I think 300 is better for you. It was looking at it too but it was sold out so I got Atb 12.5 instead . you can get 1860 if your water volume are larger.

I was originally thinking the SM300 but I'd rather have the skimmer working hard and consistent than have it be marginally over sized and get less consistency.

I spent a fair amount of time talking to Klause as well as Jeremy before he left Premium Aquatics. Both suggested the SM250 would be the better choice for my system .

My water volume is around 600-640G and my display is 480G. I have a ton of biological filtration between the 1000 or so pounds of live rock, the DSB in the 40" x 40" refugium and the massive amount of chaeto in there too. I've also got the display fuge setup with live rock, culerpa, xenia and other macro. All of which helps in reducing nutrients substantially.. So much so that I almost think the Alpha 300 is a bit over sized for my bio load despite the 70-80 fish in my tank and my reasonably heavy feedings. I also run 4 200 micron 7" filter socks which also help export waste. I skim fairly wet and I can tell when I've exhausted my nutrients by the skimmers performance.In actuality, the 250 wouldn't really be a larger skimmer although it is rated to higher gallons (790) than the Alpha.

It really was a tough call as far as my decision but like I said, I'd rather have the skimmer working consistently hard as opposed to being marginally over sized and end up with inconsistent operation. Especially with these skimmers. Bigger is not always better with skimmers. Especially well designed ones and for Bubble King to suggest the 250 over the 300, that speaks volumes. The good thing is that the 250 will fit my sump better with less hassle than the 300.

Last edited:
Someone's done their homework. Good planning is one of the keys to the reefs success IMO.

Indeed it is.. I've always been one to do my homework. Over 25 years in the hobby and plenty of mistakes along the way have made me all the wiser when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited:
Indeed it is.. I've always been one to do my homework. Over 25 years in the hobby and plenty of mistakes along the way have made me all the wiser when it comes to this stuff.

Totally agree. Doing your homework and knowing what to get will indeed save you tons of money in the long run.

My Alpha 300 is now available. It's all cleaned up and ready to go to a new home. If you are interested, PM me.

Here are some photos I just took of my Alpha 300 after giving it a full vinegar bath and cleaning.
image_zps04c3efd9.jpg

Pumps were taken apart, bathed in vinegar and completely cleaned inside and out like new.
image_zps33020c4a.jpg

image_zps17c50278.jpg

Pumps back together. They are spotless inside and out.
image_zps6fd19885.jpg

image_zpsda999585.jpg

This is the spare motor block, fixed volutes and manual. I used the adjustable volutes which are inserted in the pump but these give you more options for setting up the skimmer.

image_zps036864d1.jpg

Back