My current build

OG Reefs

IEMAS Member
Well, I’ve been busy trying to finally get this thing going. I’m almost there. I got this tank 3 years ago and it’s been sitting in my garage.

The tank is 96x36x14. The sump is 91x24x20. Fuge is 48x24x16, skimmer section is 24x24x10 and the return is 12.5x 24

Skimmer will be an Alpha 300.

Going to run it as a shallow reef and maybe add an orca or two 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_5008.jpeg
    IMG_5008.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5732.jpeg
    IMG_5732.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5730.jpeg
    IMG_5730.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5729.jpeg
    IMG_5729.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5712.jpeg
    IMG_5712.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5009.jpeg
    IMG_5009.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
That’s a really cool tank shape. Reminds me of some of the tanks in Emmen’s books and in the 90s and early 2000s

Woke up at 4am and started plumbing the return. I hit a snag with my original plan so I won’t be filling it today.

How long can I run citric acid safely? I originally wanted to run it for a week but now I’m thinking over night.

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpeg
    IMG_5747.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5748.jpeg
    IMG_5748.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
I’m not finding much on soak times longer than 24 hours. There’s the occasional I forgot about it but it was fine but not seeing anything steady beyond the 24 hours

I’m not finding much on soak times longer than 24 hours. There’s the occasional I forgot about it but it was fine but not seeing anything steady beyond the 24 hours
yeah. I’ll probably dump a 5 lbs bag in Saturday morning and drain it Sunday morning. I think 5lbs should be enough. I’ll be at around 300 gallons

Last edited:
Has anyone used this in their reef? I’m thinking about using it on the threads for the return. If the pump stops, I want to make sure there is no leak so that the tank doesn’t fully drain into the sump.

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpeg
    IMG_5824.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5825.jpeg
    IMG_5825.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Has anyone used this in their reef? I’m thinking about using it on the threads for the return. If the pump stops, I want to make sure there is no leak so that the tank doesn’t fully drain into the sump.
It says it's for use with potable water so, I think it would be okay to use.

I gotta say, I’m jealous of the shallow tank profile. At 30” tall, mine has become a PITA over the years.

I gotta say, I’m jealous of the shallow tank profile. At 30” tall, mine has become a PITA over the years.
Oh man! I had 1 tank that was 36 tall. They are a PITA. Even 24 is a bit of a pain. The best height I’ve had was 20.

Honestly, I’m wondering if the diameter of the hole is large enough to make a significant impact as a siphon break. You’d be surprised how quickly a small hole can get plugged up. Additionally, the siphon break works best when using a U-tube style siphon. With a straight vertical drain pipe, the siphon break is not quite as effective with a small hole

Honestly, I’m wondering if the diameter of the hole is large enough to make a significant impact as a siphon break. You’d be surprised how quickly a small hole can get plugged up. Additionally, the siphon break works best when using a U-tube style siphon. With a straight vertical drain pipe, the siphon break is not quite as effective with a small hole
I thought the same thing. I did exactly that before and even without any clogging it goes on for quite a while before it stops the siphon.

Back