Getting Back Into Hobby

wilkinkc

Hello! Looking at getting back into the hobby after 12 years or so of a break. I used to have a 90g with 55g sump that my cousin helped me with most of it. I got a parasite off of some live rock I bought and it spread like wildfire which led me to selling everything lol. Looks like a lot has changed in terms of technology.

I am wanting to do a mixed reef tank with sump. Couple ideas I'm kicking around below, and my concerns with both. Open to any and all suggestions. Doing all my research prior to buying anything.

- Pro Clear Rimless 150 - I like the looks of rimless a lot. I am concerned I'm not going to like the sump though as I want to include a refuge. Is there room for refuge? Considering going with this setup but building my own sump or buy a different one.

- 75 or 90 gallon traditional with wooden stand/canopy. 40 breeder or 55 gallon DIY sump. Possibly buy a RedFlex Reef Sump.

Wanting to add in as much automation & smart devices as practical. Couple things that I have seen that I'm wanting to do this time around that I never did in the past nor have any experience with; Dosers, ATO, Controller, anything else I might not know of that makes the tank better and easier to maintain :).

Not familiar with Pro Clear but, I always recommend you get the largest tank you can afford and have room for. That way you’re not constantly upgrading tanks🤣

For the Pro Clear sump, you could always add a remote fuge. I’ve got a 5 gallon remote fUgh on my current tank.

For automation, there’s a lot of options out there. I’m currently running a pre-owned Apex I bought a while back. But, I’ve heard good things about Reef Kinetics and Hydros.

Welcome back!

I’m not familiar with the proclear brand either. However there’s the remote sump option, or could add a HOB fuge to the sump? Just thinking outloud.

If you do 75 or 90 and do a custom stand, could upgrade the sump to a 60 breeder. Again just thinking outloud.

For controllers there’s a lot of options. From preset up systems like Apex and Hydros to DIY like ReefPi and a newer one coming named Aqua pi.

I personally run an apex and once you get to learn it, it can be used for everything from dosing, to testing, to auto water changes, etc. I only use mine for basic dosing, mainly cause I’m a cheapskate on add ons lol

Back