Gigas - any sources?

karimwassef

I had one a decade ago, but that was a lifetime ago.

I miss it, but it looks like they're not available any more. Anyone know where I may still find one? even a little one?

As far as I know there haven't been any brought into the country in years, and no talk of it happening again any time soon.

You are more likely to find a very large one FS then a small one. I saw one this summer at a LFS in Tampa that was about to out grow it's tank. Probably will not be FS though.

If you find one it will be very expensive. I have seen a few pop up but they were large and the owners would not ship for obvious reasons, all in the four digits.

Why isn't it being cultured? Even small ones?

I'm all for protecting the wild population, but with enough captive, there should be an aquaculture program.

Why isn't it being cultured? Even small ones?

Breedstock sized specimens are very large and difficult to handle. Combine that with a small market and the dollars just don't add up well enough for companies to tie up their finances with it, hence why they are no longer available.

I've seen them in people's tanks, public aquariums and LFS. None for sale.

They do occasionally pop up for sale, but always in the 18-24" range and absurdly priced. Makes sense size wise, because it's been around 8 years since any were imported, and those that have survived would be that large.

I'd think a coop should be formed to create a breeding population. At market prices, the demand should be there, even for very high priced 1" babies

I'd imagine if Gigas were economically viable to farm, the existing facilities would still be raising them. Extremely limited addressable market I'd think.

That assumes the farmers are good at reading the market.

I remember when all coral purchased was wild and the idea of farming was exotic and the argument was that if it was economically feasible, someone would have done it already...

:D

Anyway - I get it. Such a shame though. I actually think that our tanks with aquacultured life are like a massively distributed and redundant seed repository for the reefs. We're spending time and resources for their upkeep and in case of natural disaster, I know that we would give back to repopulate destroyed wild reefs. We're the safety net.

Really? I remember as a kid that they were farmed for food? Maybe I'm mixing it up.
They worth more grown out to market size as food. Doesn't pay to sell them small to aquarists.
That assumes the farmers are good at reading the market.

I remember when all coral purchased was wild and the idea of farming was exotic and the argument was that if it was economically feasible, someone would have done it already...

:D

Anyway - I get it. Such a shame though. I actually think that our tanks with aquacultured life are like a massively distributed and redundant seed repository for the reefs. We're spending time and resources for their upkeep and in case of natural disaster, I know that we would give back to repopulate destroyed wild reefs. We're the safety net.
They do read the market, more money in the sea food market for gigas.

Endangered in the wild.

I have to wonder if Acro Al's work in Australia might make it viable for a US based enthusiast to begin breeding them here.

Second, I wonder how much real estate would be needed to house enough breeding size clams to be (potentially) profitable.

Interesting that they are worth more money as seafood... I know a few hobbyists that would pay a lot of money for a live one....

I think I see more clams die in captivity than corals. It would take a special tank to house a gigas long term, a tank that the average aquarist couldn't produce. I also think it is more of a status symbol with most people wanting a gigas for the prestige than the opportunity to display those remarkable clams. Another organism catered more for public aquariums or high end stores to display them where they can be cared for by experts. Stick with derasa and squamosa IMO. They get plenty big for most residential tanks.

Back