GlassCages

I had already ordered a tank, and was trying to order a custom sump too, when I encountered the most rude and unprofessional service, EVER. The best thing I have to say, is that they refunded my $1500.00 with no reservation. So glad I got out before it got worse.

Ended up going with Coast to Coast. Worth every penny more than what GC wanted - a true work of art. C2C had heard of GC, and so had LifeReef. I was fortunate.

Not an investment you want to low ball.

Jeff

...a bit unprofessional

You're very kind :)

As Mel said though, that could be tolerated considering the possible savings.
I think it really is a safety issue. We have some (err...many) GC tanks at the hatchery, and over time, several of the 120g tanks have cracked. We've never had this happen with the other hundreds of aquariums from other reputable companies (we've broken plenty of tanks of course, just none due to anything other than our own fault). It's not just the cost of replacing the tank--as all of you know, the tank itself is a very small part of the overall picture.

One morning we arrived to find water rushing out the front door of the SI building...I am still a bit scared that we have so many of them around, including the 500g in the lobby. Just my $.02, but invest in a quality tank and sleep well at night!

Isn't that the way most things are in this hobby, Matt? Ya know?

Buy cheap, regret it and have to upgrade later. Take your time, spend the money to get the good stuff and ultimately save money and headaches in the long run.

I have done a lot of research on GC and have had mixed impressions of them. I have never ordered from them but within in the next 30 days I will be pulling the trigger on a 60" tank but not sure with who. Every other competitor has always been higher by atleast $500-$1000. I thought they had gotten their act together by now and have read most of these posts. They are all over the internet with more bad comments compared to good and make the proper adjustments. I guess for $700 more I will go with a miracles tank and have piece of mind and a better resale value which I never thought of. One day i'm going to want to upgrade again or just get out or down size.

Well, I'm glad that we could help you with that decision a little bit.

Thanks for reading our thread.

Buy cheap, regret it and have to upgrade later. Take your time, spend the money to get the good stuff and ultimately save money and headaches in the long run.

I agree for the most part... Skimmer and Controller technology have changed vastly in the past 5-10 years... Top of the line equipment can go by the wayside quickly... Sometimes its also hard to differentiate a fad from a progressive leap in technology or care techniques...

All that being said, I rarely skimp on the actual Aquarium... :D

It was pretty crazy when the 120g in my Dad's office cracked (GC tank on AGA stand). He was there and said it sounded like a gunshot followed by a waterfall. In all cases, we didn't lose any animals :)

I read same mixed reviews about GC. So when it was time to order my new 110g rimless I went with Great Lakes aquariums. Lets hope their work has better quality and track record.

Back