Isn't that a lot more work?

Post pictures once you get them and they settle in. I don't follow the commercial names of corals so, I'm kinda curious what these look like.
1000012636.jpg

Already opened up and happy looking, I can see how these could make an amazing colony in a good size.

Tried my hand at fragging a bit this weekend, I have that pinkish skin colored zoa that we "rescued" which I think is taking well to the frag.

My utter chaos I think will be good because I was able to just split the plug they were on.

Tried to frag my eagle eyes a bit but holy smokes they're so tiny and hard to handle, I'm not sure that one is going to take.

Last edited:
The utter chaos and unknown zoa are both doing great on their frag mounds (I had a vision of what these little mole hole mounts would look like once inundated in zoa's.

This morning I noticed the dragon eyes had two full polyps so maybe they will pan out. I feel like I have them submerged in too much glue so I might have screwed that one up, but we will see!

1000012728.jpg

1000012726.jpg

1000012730.jpg

Last night something flipped my torch out of his spot, I found him upside down this morning in a pile of palys, and like half eaten / melted!!

I have no idea if he will bounce back from this, really a bummer as he was growing very nicely and I don't think I could replace it for what I paid, $49 at an LFS. And ever since then I've only seen them for double that, or $49+ shipping online. Everything else in the tank is doing so well too.... Bummer

1000012833.jpg

Tank looks great! I’m not certain the torch will make it, it looks very rough

Yeah he's in rough shape. I moved him down below where I think he's more secure for now. He's extending a bit and dancing so.... Funny thing is if nobody screws with him, I wouldn't be shocked to see it come back but it was so big before. Now it's just a baby lol

Idk what could have done it. Maybe a crab or snail moved it out but I don't know if someone chewed on it or if it just melted itself overnight from being upside down....?

1000012843.jpg

Yeah he's in rough shape. I moved him down below where I think he's more secure for now. He's extending a bit and dancing so.... Funny thing is if nobody screws with him, I wouldn't be shocked to see it come back but it was so big before. Now it's just a baby lol

Idk what could have done it. Maybe a crab or snail moved it out but I don't know if someone chewed on it or if it just melted itself overnight from being upside down....?

View attachment 32401305

I’ve read iodine dips can help possibly. But I don’t know the regiment for it but I’ve seen it with some brown jelly cases.

As for the melting, palys are pretty powerful. When I torch is upright, I can easily see it fighting them off. But upside down in them, it’s now trying to fight several at a time that are also actually touching it, not just encroaching.

You can see how close they were, maybe it's a lesson learned.... The X being where it was and the circle being the palys. But in all these months the plug sat perfectly in this rock hole so I can only assume a crab or snail came up from below in the night and pushed it upside down 😢

1000012845.jpg

Me too, I have a feeling if I can get it set up somewhere very safe and leave it alone, it will. but I bet it would take a year to get it back to where it was. I might put it in a shroom box this week so nothing can screw with it because I have to travel on Thursday and there is no way I'm going to put the responsibility of the torches well being on my step daughter, she loves taking care of our animals but she would have no idea if someone flipped him upside down again or something.

Ahh, I was wrong lol. Got home today and the rest of the tentacles were completely gone. No idea if it melted or if someone ate it. I had it on a frag stand protected so.... Idk. That's a bummer though, loved that coral!

we leave town on Thursday, I do have a house sitter there but the most I expect is a water top off and tank feeding. so my plan is the razor blade approach to clean as much as possible and maybe a 10% water change before we go. make sure salinity and everything looks good. Not sure the water change is 100% necessary but with the torch dying off I want to check water parameters tonight anyways.

going to maybe move a frag or two to the magnetic frag rack as well (the ones I don't have glued down) to keep them safe while I'm gone in case the anemone gets moving or a snail disrupts them. typically it seems like if something is knocked over I can fix it same day and no issue, but this loss of the torch has me bummed.

The razor blade is life changing. Not done yet but holy cow it's cleaning things up so nice .

I noticed my little shop of horror zoa has been closed for two days now, although my three polyps are now 5. We've had a warm stretch of weather and the tank is at 82f, normally 78, so I'm going to cool that a bit.

1000012900.jpg

1000012902.jpg

1000012906.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-14-16-11-38-23_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-14-16-11-38-23_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 1000012908.jpg
    1000012908.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Back