Jason's new(er) 180

OK, here are my mods to the tank:

CSD (identical from side to side, except for placement of bulkhead)
DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

Extra drains installed to overflows
DSC_0073.jpg

The CSDs are as high as I could get them, and still be able to run a pipe into the bucket. These really only work in in-wall setups, as they're really distracting, visually. The drop is about 30" through 1.5" piping, they empty in about 6 - 7 seconds, and push water almost the full length of the tank.

If you're wondering why I have different color/schedule pipe, it's because I hate Sch. 40, and think it looks bad, but I can't get Sch. 80 in 1.5" piping in town. It's far from being a really clean setup, but this isn't my last tank, and I don't see a reason in making the equipment visually pleasing when it's going to be torn down in a couple years.

same principle, just imagine the stand pipe exiting through the side, and not the bottom. I can't fit a 1.5" "U" shaped pipe in a 5 G bucket. The rest of the pipe (what creates the syphon) is inside.

Ahh because its a sipon of the water out of the tank and not really a drain. Do you have the overflow as well?

Ahh because its a sipon of the water out of the tank and not really a drain. Do you have the overflow as well?

I haven't installed an emergency overflow, nor a carbueration pipe. They are plumbed with unions so I can service them, so I might put a draing in there at some point, but it shouldn't ever clog (famous last words, I'm sure).

new candy

new candy

well, for the first time in quite awhile I got some new corals, 2 trachyphyllia brains. both are nice, but this one....

rainbowtrach.jpg

after about a week, it's finally getting used to the T5s, and opening up nicely. I haven't been excited about a coral in a while, but I REALLY like this one (pic doesn't do it justice).

Yeah that thing is amazing! What's the relative size of it? It looks huge in that pic.

7 - 8" when fully opened.

Huskerreef said:
Glad to see a pic, I heard rumors to how cool it looked. Had I only made it to PCP a day sooner

I was after this thing ever since Matt got it, and had I gotten to Matt's a day earlier, it would've saved me some coin....

damd nice piece, i thought the piece i bought from kc was colorful, urs just outright beat it. Did you get it from Matt Jason?

Do you remember where Matt got that from? He did a couple of big orders so its hard for me to remember :)

Do you remember where Matt got that from? He did a couple of big orders so its hard for me to remember :)

Don't know if they are a sponsor (so maybe I can't plug them :fun4:), but it came from reef hotspot, I believe. I'm really hoping the rest of his corals make it until someone buys them, it'd be a shame to see them melt in those tanks.

Don't know if they are a sponsor (so maybe I can't plug them :fun4:), but it came from reef hotspot, I believe. I'm really hoping the rest of his corals make it until someone buys them, it'd be a shame to see them melt in those tanks.

Do you think corals like that ship well? Does size matter, ie would there be a size that wouldnt be a good idea to ship?

Your pic had me looking around for rainbow brains and acans...holy crap there are some freaking sweet pieces out there, I had no idea how sweet some of these things look. Saw one like yours go for nearly 5 bills and found the sweetest rainbow acan for over 5 bills, I fought hard not to pull the trigger on that bad boy. I always wanted Kurts Lavender Lobo for years and finally that dream came true a year ago, now I must drool over yours til I find one of my own.

Do you think corals like that ship well? Does size matter, ie would there be a size that wouldnt be a good idea to ship?

Anything that has sharp septa has the potential for tissue damage during tansit (cynarina, scolymia, symphyllia, plerogyra, etc.). All it takes is one bad roll over the skeleton and it can puncture the tissue, and open the coral up for a bacterial infection, or subsequent damage. Trachs, acans, and the like, should ship well, though, as their skeleton's aren't that obtrusive.

huskerreef said:
Your pic had me looking around for rainbow brains and acans...holy crap there are some freaking sweet pieces out there, I had no idea how sweet some of these things look. Saw one like yours go for nearly 5 bills and found the sweetest rainbow acan for over 5 bills, I fought hard not to pull the trigger on that bad boy. I always wanted Kurts Lavender Lobo for years and finally that dream came true a year ago, now I must drool over yours til I find one of my own.

Luckily I didn't have to spend that much, I know Matt paid less than half that for this one shipped to his door. There are some really crazy stuff here in the LPS forums too, and even more impressive amounts paid for them.

I'm just glad Kurt's Lobo. found a home, it's awfully nice.

Back